General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Honda Accord Ex V6, strong thrust while trying to accelerate fast from full stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Default 99 Honda Accord Ex V6, strong thrust while trying to accelerate fast from full stop

Hi

If I want to accelerate fast and push the accelerator much, the car gives a strong thrust, then accelerates. However, if I accelerate slowly then it is smooth. I bought the car last December, and right now really worried about this. Can anyone please tell me if there is any problem with the engine or transmission? Thanks.

99 Honda Accord Ex V6
Mileage: 153xxx
Timing belt was changed at 120k.

Last edited by jbhbd; 06-15-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: simple modification
Old 06-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yes - the 98-01 V6 Accords have some of the worst auto trans ever made.

I do not recommend accelerating hard from a stop.

You can try changing the trans fluid using only Honda genuine fluid but it likely won't help much.

Your trans is showing signs that it is going to fail soon.

How does it downshift?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 AM

be gentle until you know that it is locked into a gear. the glue on the auto clutches is a notorious weak point and from repeated overheating the case and bearing guides turn into what we call "peanut butter aluminum”. Try lifting a bit between shifts like a manual, this will reduce wear to the auto clutch.

A rebuild by a reputable shop will cost around 2,200. If you haven’t changed your trans fluid in 40k miles then leave it in there and save up for the rebuild. You can kill a transmission by draining that bad fluid. This happened to my accord, it would clunk into 1st and as time went on it took longer and longer to engage then finally wouldn’t even go into 1st. Also be aware that a failing transmission can also cause a shaking sensation at freeway speeds. This also happened to me and it was slightly frightening, the car was almost jumping I thought I was going have a catastrophic failure, Luckily I slowed down and it subsided.

Does it clunk into 1st when slowing to a stop?

Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 PM

Thanks to both of you for the reply. I bought the car in last December, added around 3k to the mileage since then, and i don't think that previous owner changed the tran fluid recently.

So I guess it was a bad purchase.

Most of the time there is no problem during downshift, however I hear a sound while coming to a full stop, specially on an uphill or downhill. It is not frequent, happens sometimes. Sounds like one metal bar is striking with another, or something like that.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 PM

get a turkey baster and pull some trans fluid out from the dipstick port. put it in a glass mason jar note the color and smell. Is it dark brown and burnt smelling? I'm sorry friend but it does sound like your trans is on the way out. Maybe start looking around for a wrecked car that you can pull the transaxle out of?

Old 06-16-2012, 05:56 AM

when u push ur gas peddle to increase speed meaning if u go to the floor on it ?yes it is normal cuz u just did FOT full open throttle,now when i tell "HER" to do the same 4 me she gives me all shes got!!!an i really luv to drive "HER" fast she loves it also!but when i cruz she purrs like a kitten an drives an shifts smooth,but when u demand ur car to go fast the engine is only doin what ur asking of it! iv learned these Accords are good engines an strong engines just keep up with the routine maintenance an these engines will take of u the same way u take care of it>

Old 06-17-2012, 10:25 AM

Thank you all for your reply. I am gonna see its performance for the next couple of months. If it gets worse, then I'll try to sell it. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 PM

had the same problem for a while, tranny just gave out on me 2 days ago. it went from doing exactly what you said your symptoms are, to having a low barely audible grinding while engine is on (found out that noise is from the torque converter locking up due to a failed seal), and the gears only engage around 1700 rpm, so if i have it in any of the D drives it rolls when i let go of the brake. so i've been doing a lot of research, and currently replacing the torque converter assembly, seals, o-rings, and possibly clutch plate. we"ll see how that goes, only gonna cost around 500$! sweeeeet savings!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I have no idea how much a transmission is going to cost where you live but here its not as bad as it seems. I bought a spare transmission for my '01 Acura CL that came out of a 2005 Honda Odysses (sp?) for $600. The later model transmissions will bolt right up to the 3.2L engine in the Acura, I suspect they will bolt into your car too, My local mechanic will install it for $200. So its not like the world is coming to an end price-wise, if I were you I'd ask around at local shops and just see how much they will charge you. Keep as far away from dealers as possible; once your warranty has expired your car should never see the inside of a dealership again if you place any value at all on your wallet.

As for the reason they die, its all in the design. Honda transmissions are unlike any other automatics I've ever seen. To call them automatics is a stretch; in truth they are designed a lot more like manual transmissions that are shifted by solenoids with the shock of the shift absorbed by clutch packs. The clutch packs self-destruct leaving debris that plug up the transmission which just exacerbates the problem.