General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Honda Accord Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Default 99 Honda Accord Shifting Issues

Whats up guys. Ive been having issues with my 99 Honda Accord 2.3l EX lately. Everything was good. It was driving fine, no issues and then one morning on my way to work it didnt want to go into 1st gear then a little rough going into second. I was able to make it to work and back but it only seems to be rough getting into gear just when Im moving. No issues really when Im parked, throw it into 1st to get going, and cycle threw the gears initially but when Im driving and Im coming to a stop at a light, Ill throw it in neutral then attempt 1st to get ready but it wont go. I have to find the sweet spot in the clutch pedal to get it into 1st (Which is about half way). Also, it shifts better with the car off for some reason.

Ive checked the master/slave and everything looks good, no leaks and functional. I bled the line a little to make sure no air was in the line. Clutch is good, was replaced not too long ago. Replaced all fluids including transmission and clutch. Its high mileage but all highway and a lot of work done to it to keep up with it

Im good with vehicles but not so much with manuals so was going to start with the master/slave replacement and go from there but any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by jesse47174; 03-30-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Transmissions are hard to diagnose, so I'm not sure where to go on your problem. The problem sounds like a synchro for 1st and/or 2nd gear. That isn't easy to test, because you have to take apart the transmission to inspect it.

You can try double clutching when you are coming to a stop. Push clutch pedal, shift to N, the release the clutch pedal. Push the clutch pedal again, then try to shift to 1st gear.

You may also want to change the manual transmission fluid. I suggest using Honda's manual transmission fluid.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:03 PM

Well, I replaced the slave/master and made sure all air got out. Slave is extending normal but still hear sqeaking at the fork for some reason.

Still same issues tho. Mainly just 1st and R giving me issues. Can shift into any gear at a stop but when lets say im coming to the light, Ill put clutch down then pop it into 1st to get ready but wont go. I either have to wait till Im at a dead stop or find the sweet spot in the clutch pedal (Usually half way up to get into gear) so it pops in. If I try to force it a little, U feel the grinding like its not disengaging properly.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:12 PM

Gona do some more troubleshooting when I get home and see if can figure something out...Only bought this car so can sell my truck and has been such a pain in the ***. Its a 99 and has 230,000 miles on it but have done alot of work to keep up with it like the timing, clutch, etc. Just not trying to dump a bunch a cash into it for it just to break down in another month or two. Hope it not that serious

Old 04-07-2017, 03:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by jesse47174
Well, I replaced the slave/master and made sure all air got out. Slave is extending normal but still hear sqeaking at the fork for some reason.

Still same issues tho. Mainly just 1st and R giving me issues.
This is starting to sound more like a throw out bearing getting ready to fail. I only say that as you mention "you hear squeaking" at the clutch fork. That chirping sound is a bearing that's been ridden (maybe you've heard the term "riding the clutch"?), and is running out of lube.
You'll notice it worse in 1st or reverse, as those 2 gears are the ones you'll most likely be fully stopped for. Above 1st (2nd thru 5th), the input shaft is still spinning, so it will go in without using the clutch at all (just gotta match engine speed to gear speed), but the first likes to be almost dead stopped, and reverse definitely likes to be stopped.

Keep in mind I've only been driving Honda Accords for the last 2.5 years, but I do have 37 years of driving MT cars and trucks under my belt (took my drivers road test with a MT car). Yes, I'm an old fart. And the hardest MT I ever drove was a 10 speed with a 2 speed rear axle thru the city streets. That Cummins diesel made short work of those gears on that bobtail. And I was very happy that I didn't have to drive it back.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 04-07-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:29 PM

I appreciate the advice....The sqeaking is what I noticed off the bat, thought it was the slave tho and can even feel a kind of crunch in the clutch pedal when disengaging sometimes if that makes sense. It also seems to be disengaging higher up on the clutch pedal as well.

Im gona attempt to pull the trans out this weekend so can check everything out and replace the clutch while Im at it so we'll see how it goes. Everything kinda rusted up so gona take some time but will let ya guys know how it goes.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

The squeaking when pushing the clutch can be where the slave cylinder meets the release fork. You may want to clean any burrs/corrosion on the release fork with some sandpaper. Maybe use some of the rustoleum rust converter to prevent rust. Then use antiseize on there to prevent squeaking.