General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Default ABS light on

Ok, so I got in my car this morning and it was really cold last night. The car didn't want to start. I turn it on and the ABS light stays lit up. I drove it work anyways since I was already late and the brake light was not on so the breaks should be fine. I've done some looking up about the ABS, but I'm not really sure what to think at this point. If the light stays on tomorrow I will probably take it to auto zone and have them read the code. What do you guys think the problem could be? Also, I've read that I might have to replace the entire system. This would be 1000+ I read in a few other forums. Would there be any real problem if I dont fix the abs, since I still have functioning power brakes?

Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Default RE: ABS light on

I wrecked my 93 Accord in early 1993 (ran it into a swamp, submerging it up to the windshield). It was still pretty much new so insurance fixed everything, but about a year later the ABS light came on. I took it in, they said it was some kind of sensor on one of the wheels that needed to be replaced, and did so. A few months later, same thing. A few more months later and the pedal would jump a bit, I'd hear a buzzing noise, then the ABS light would come on again. The jumping pedal worried me so I just pulled the fuse on theABS.The light has been on ever sinceand the brakes workfine. That was about295Kago.......

Old 01-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ABS codes are not OBD2 codes so they can't be read by Autozone. I'm not sure about 2000, but definitely through 1998 you could get ABS codes by shorting the Service Check Connector (under glove box, 2-wire blue connector), and reading the flash codes of the ABS light. All short (< 1 sec) flashes (ffff-pause-ffff = 4-4). Perhaps someone will know for sure whether this will work for your 2000 Accord.

Most ABS problems are wheel speed sensor faults and power supply (fuse orrelay) faults. Used ABS modulators can be had for much very reasonable prices on earlier model Accords, but check your 2000 Accord w/ car-part.com to see what a good used part runs. I paid <$100 bucks for a 94-97 Accord modulator.

ABS works fine but the annoying yellow light will always be on unless you pull the bulb. My dad put a piece of black electrical tape over the instrument panel above the ABS light to block the lamp.

good luck

Old 01-21-2008, 01:29 PM

Lol, the good old electrical tape trick. My cavalier had a few of those. Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get the code and then I think the haynes manual tells you what each code means and then I might need help finding the sensors, cause I dont think the haynes manual specifically says where they are. O, will this work to read the codes if the light is not coming on now, but was previously?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 PM

your 2000 abs system is pretty solid. the expensive parts very rarely fail on it. most likely it's a wheel speed sensor.