General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

egr port cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Default egr port cleaning

Im planning to maybe clean the ports on my 94 accord this weekend. My only question is, since it requires drilling into the intake manifold, what if some dirt goes into the hole and into the manifold? will it harm anything.

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: egr port cleaning

Check out this link;
http://members.troublecodes.net/hond...5AccordEGR.htm
When you are cleaning the acual intake manifold port you can blow away the carbon soot, the small amount of powdered carbon sootthat drops into the intake runner won't harm anything, it will go out thru the exhaust valve no problems.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:45 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

When I cleaned the ports on my car, I didnt use a drill bit, I used one of those metal double sided dental pics. It worked really well, I scraped it out really thoroughly and it got really clean. I took my vacuum cleaner out to the garage and used the long extension, had my friend hold it close to the port I was cleaning each time to suck out most of the carbon.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:11 AM

I am trying to get rid of this annoying problem that has started with the car shuddering all of a sudden. Then today, i started getting a slight hesitation randomly when i take off from a stop. Wish me luck!

Old 01-23-2007, 12:07 PM
pryan26
Unregistered

Thank you so much for this information! I'm going to rip into it this weekend. Thanks again!

Old 01-23-2008, 03:07 PM
jeffawong
Unregistered

I'm going to clean my egr portson my 94 accordand when looking at a diagram - there is a "plate/gasket" under the egr chamber plate. (see diagram) Do I need to replace this as the diagram suggests? Also, when removing the fuel rail is it necessary to replace the washers (see diagram) holding the fuel line? and finally did you guys change the orings on any part of the fuel injector when removing the the fuel rail. Any pointers will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Google t2t013.pdf for a good set of instructions. I think that you can reuse that gasket. Just clean off the carbon deposits from it. As for the o-rings, be careful when reinstalling the fuel rail and use some engine oil on. Make sure to line up the fuel rail properly when pushing it back on to the injectors.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: hondadude

Check out this link;
http://members.troublecodes.net/hond...5AccordEGR.htm
When you are cleaning the acual intake manifold port you can blow away the carbon soot, the small amount of powdered carbon sootthat drops into the intake runner won't harm anything, it will go out thru the exhaust valve no problems.
None of the http://members.troublecodes.net/hondadude links seem to be working.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ORIGINAL: jeffawong

I'm going to clean my egr portson my 94 accordand when looking at a diagram - there is a "plate/gasket" under the egr chamber plate. (see diagram) Do I need to replace this as the diagram suggests? Also, when removing the fuel rail is it necessary to replace the washers (see diagram) holding the fuel line? and finally did you guys change the orings on any part of the fuel injector when removing the the fuel rail. Any pointers will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
WhenI cleaned my 94EX, I found the gasket/plate was reusable, but be careful not to scrape it while cleaning. I believe I used a thin coating of red, RTV to "repair" some cleaning wounds. The ports beneath the manifold should be cleaned thoroughly w/o changing the hole diameter (don't use a power drill to drill it out).

I went from failing my NOX emission check to passing w/ flyng colors.

good luck

Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 PM
jeffawong
Unregistered

High nox on emissions is what I hope that this cleaningwill cure. Thanks guys - help is much appreciated!