General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS Light comes on - Code 4 - 8 - 97 EX

Old 05-24-2008, 01:20 PM
konradsa
Unregistered
Default ABS Light comes on - Code 4 - 8 - 97 EX

Hi,

In my 1997 EX Accord Coupe, the ABS light recently started coming on when I go faster than walking speed. I checked the ABS error code, and it's 4 - 8, indicating a problem with the signal from the left rear wheel sensor. I now cleaned the sensor as best as I could from the outside (I removed the tire, but I don't have the right tool to take off the sensor). I also removed and cleaned all connectors and plugged them back in. However, the problem still persists.

Now I would like to sell the car (go figure, never had a problem with this car for years, but right before sale it pops up!) and I am wondering how much a repair in the shop would cost me. Is there anybody that has any insight into that? How much would it cost to repair the wheel speed sensor? How much would an ABS unit run, in case it's the culprit? Is it maybe better to sell the car with the fault and take a couple of $100s of from the sale price?

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ABS Light comes on - Code 4 - 8 - 97 EX

If you have a volt meter, you can do some electrical tests on the sensor to see if it is bad. In the DIY section, open the acc 5th gen... thread and go to the dhost site. You can download the shop manual for a 5th gen accord. Do the electrical tests on the abs sensor to see if it is bad.

To replace the sensor, you just have to unbolt it from the various points on the subframe then unplug it. That shop manual will help a lot. I would just pick up a new sensor at a junkyard, because I think that the sensor is expensive new.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Manual shows two, small bolts to release the sensor. You should clean the sensor tip and also clean the pulser rotor on the axle. If you can access directly, you can stuff a rag down the sensor port and rotate the axle to clean the rotor. Check resistance per manual (500-1000 ohms) is my recollection.

good luck

Old 05-28-2008, 03:50 PM
konradsa
Unregistered

Ok,

Thanks for your response.

I checked the sensor, and the circuit is open, so it seems that I need a new sensor.

I was trying to locate the sensor at junk yards in the area, but no avail. Can anybody point me to website that offers the right part or tell me the Honda part number of the replacement that I need? I looked at hondaautomotiveparts.com, but can't find the part in their list.

My car is a 1997 Honda Accord 2dr EX with the 4 cyl VTEC engine and automatic transmission. I don't want to buy a new part for a 4 door version online just to find out that it does not fit. Can anybody help?

Old 05-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

hondapartsdeals.com has oem honda parts. Its under Chasis, rear lower control arm. Its either #37/38 in the diagram.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 PM
konradsa
Unregistered

Thanks. I found the same part at hondaautomotiveparts.com for $111 and ordered it.

Has anybody ever replaced such a sensor? Is it difficult? It does not look that difficult in the service manual, but I am afraid that there may be problems, such as rusted bolts that won't come off. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It is not difficult. A few small bolts hold the part in place. Release electrical connector and you're ready to install. Really rusted bolts are possible, but in TX we don't see much rust (no salt on roads).

good luck