General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Default ABS Light stays on

I know this has arisen in the forum before as I read other posts. It seems to be a common entry!
I have a 92 Accord EX-R The light comes on shortly after startup.
Checking the error codes, the first one I get is 3 - 4 then 4 - 4 and another 4 - 4.
I know they supposedly can store the last three code sequences.
I just bought this car yesterday, so am getting aquainted with the it tonight!
A previous code would indicate that:
3-4 is a pulser RR
4-4 is wheel sensor RR
Just want to make sure I have these correct.
One suggestion I found is to clean them.
Could anyone post how to clean them and what they look like, as that may be all it takes.
Also, this car should be OEM right. The testpoint is the blue connection behind the glovebox.
Many Thanks

Old 09-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: ABS Light stays on

The site hondahookup.com has a 91 Accord Manual and a couple of 92 Accord supplements. These may have what you are looking for.

The 94 Accord manual shows 3-4 as RR wheel pulser and 4-4 as RR wheel sensor. If these are same as your's this could be something as simple as a dirty sensor, dirty tone wheel (pulser gear), or faulty sensor. I would think 3-4 means that a partial signal is being received but it is either intermittent or inconsistent w/ other wheel sensors. The 4-4 wheel sensor means there is a total fault or absence of signal. Your model could use a different ABS system and be something else.

good luck

Old 09-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Remove the rear brake rotor so you can see the hub flange with the lug studs. On the spinning hub is a toothed ring that passes by a magnetic sensor. Check that for crud, for example metal shavings stuck to the sensor or to the toothed ring.

If there's broken teeth, you probably have to buy a new hub. That's equivalent to replacing the rear wheel bearing, not a very difficult job.

If nothing obvious, then follow the wire from the sensor. Look for cuts in the insulation, or the wire pinched between suspension parts or something like that?? You'll probably follow the wire into the car, underneath the trunk carpeting, to find the first plug. Check for loose/dirty/corroded pins in that connector.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Where are you located? EX-R isn't a USA car, so I hope this picture isn't too much different than yours.

OK, this shows the brake disk & hub (#1)behind it. On the small, inboard end of the hub you see the teeth of the pulser ring. The sensor is the only thing in there with any kind of electrical wire attached. But it's shown on another drawing that isn't very helpful anyway...

Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 PM

Thanks for all the info!
Canada mate, its a Canadian car.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Canada, eh? Same as USA Accord EX which is that picture, eh?