General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS pump not bleeding as write-up suggests

Old 01-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Default ABS pump not bleeding as write-up suggests

my aunt has a 1997 accord SE, and her ABS pump was going bad, so i pulled another from the yard and put it in place of the original, according to the write up i fill the reservoir with fluid, turn the car on and let the pump run until it stops, bleed it out, then fill the reservoir again and repeat until all the air is gone

But the pump keeps buzzing away and not stopping nor taking in fluid, What am i doing wrong? and will the pump burn up if i keep it running and trying different things, ive even tried unhooking all the brake lines and running it, and nothing happens besides the buzzing

Old 01-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

I've moved this to General Tech, please don't post questions in the DIY section.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is pump moving fluid? You should be able to detect fluid leaving/returning to reservoir. Bleeder could be used to confirm pressure build.

Modulator accumulator may be dead preventing pressure build up causing pump to run on, or perhaps bad pressure switch.

What was problem w/ original modulator? I've had some success w/ swapping parts; modulator, pump, to make a good unit.

Download manual in DIY Forum, Online Manuals post has details of ABS system. Same from 94-97.

good luck

Old 01-04-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
I've moved this to General Tech, please don't post questions in the DIY section.
sorry, i misunderstood the forums, was a bit too early and not enough coffee..

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Is pump moving fluid? You should be able to detect fluid leaving/returning to reservoir. Bleeder could be used to confirm pressure build.

Modulator accumulator may be dead preventing pressure build up causing pump to run on, or perhaps bad pressure switch.

What was problem w/ original modulator? I've had some success w/ swapping parts; modulator, pump, to make a good unit.

Download manual in DIY Forum, Online Manuals post has details of ABS system. Same from 94-97.

good luck
i replaced the entire unit with another unit from a JY that i pulled, and it just keeps buzzing away, but never moves any fluid.. Their original unit would buzz for a good 20 seconds when the car is started EVERY Time, so their neighbor suggested a new pump, but its $$$$$$ so I pulled one for them, i swapped it out, ive had em turn the car on with the bleeder closed AND open just to see... loosened all the brake lines just to see what would happen, and this is where im at... theres a bunch in the yard, and i know its just 10mm, 12mm 3/8" sockets and 10mm wrench

Last edited by big boi; 01-04-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:03 AM

While I've had some success w/ junkyard modulators, I had to go back and exchange when I found part was damaged. As I said, parts may need to be swapped to get a working unit.

Did you obtain ABS codes for original modulator? They may provide a clue to whether unit is repairable or not.

Suggest checking for ABS codes on present unit also.

Working on these units requires a flare nut tubing wrench (10mm) to avoid rounding the nuts which are typically very tight.

good luck

Old 01-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
While I've had some success w/ junkyard modulators, I had to go back and exchange when I found part was damaged. As I said, parts may need to be swapped to get a working unit.

Did you obtain ABS codes for original modulator? They may provide a clue to whether unit is repairable or not.

Suggest checking for ABS codes on present unit also.

Working on these units requires a flare nut tubing wrench (10mm) to avoid rounding the nuts which are typically very tight.

good luck
so ive pulled a bad unit??? i can go get another one if need be, but i dont think thats the issue... but the write-up suggests that the pump will build pressure after hooking everything up and turning the key, but thats not whats going on here...

No CEL
No ABS light

it would just make noise until the pump built pressure, and the mount that holds it, is rather rusted suggesting to me its a Seal, because brake fluid is about the only thing that will rust the metal that quickly being a 97

and yes ive got a flare nut wrench

Last edited by big boi; 01-04-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:11 AM

Old modulator may have head body plug leaks. see attached TSB.

Other problems that would cause leaks are accumulator/body oring seal, cracked reservoir.

I also had a "pump that wouldn't pump" and disassembled and found seals were worn. Used pump from donor modulator to fix.

I have two non-working abs modulators w/ some usable parts. You're welcome to them for parts, for shipping cost or pickup if you're in Houston area. Kind of expensive to ship, since they're heavy.

good luck

Attached Files

Last edited by TexasHonda; 01-04-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:11 PM

So im kinda sure the one i pulled is bad because i put the old unit back in place and it built pressure instantly, i bled it like the write-up said and its working fine

i figured because i had the car on an incline that it was affecting the fluid intake, so i put the one i pulled Back in the car, and it ran for about a minute then shut off, didnt take in fluid and the ABS light came on, i replaced it with the original unit, and the light went away and the bleeding process went smoothly

Old 01-06-2014, 09:00 AM

The neighbor which works for Honda tried explaining something to me, but hes going to print out the material he has at work so i can read it myself, he claims that the pump i pulled has air in it, which is not letting fluid in, so i need to bleed the unit before installing it, but im not understanding what hes telling me about tilting it at a 45 degree angle so the air comes out, and i asked em where would it come out of, and what hes said about the bleeding process i dont understand, but i agree the unit must have air in it because its not letting any fluid in what so ever

Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 AM

There is a tiny insert cap in the top of the ABS reservoir. Have you removed that cap before attempting to pour fluid into reservoir?

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS pump not bleeding as write-up suggests