General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC controls not working, 98

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Default AC controls not working, 98

Hi there, I have a 98 Honda Accord 2 door. I recently had a bear break in the passenger window for some food that was in the back seat . No Joke. Fortunately, all that he did was break the window and put some claw marks in the door panel.

Last week I replaced both of those myself. The process was pretty simple and pain-free. However, the same day my air conditioning controls went out. There is just simply no power that goes to them. The green light signifying which setting the AC is on doesn't work. The only thing that does work is the fan speed ****. Everything else doesn't work.

Other than checking the fuses, I haven't done any work to it since I have NO idea where to start. Any advice?
Thanks
Scott

Old 09-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a volt meter and know how to test for voltage and continuity?

Is your accord a 4/6 cylinder; lx/dx/ex; manual/automatic trans?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:23 PM

It's a 4 cyl, LX, manual and unfortunately I don't have those things

Old 09-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

on my 95 accord, there are 2 screws that go in behind the steering wheel. they point upwards.. then you can pull the panel off that your controls are on.. then you can check whether or not the plugs are plugged in or not...

again, mines a 95 and i'm not sure if the 98's are the same or not, but if so, that would be a good start...

Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Pickup a volt meter at someplace like wal-mart. The $10 one has the analog needle that can test for voltage and resistance. It will probably cost ~$10 and will help a lot.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Default And So?

What was the ultimate result of this? I'm having the same problems with my wife's '99.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 PM

Here is what is wrong.
There is a Resistor in back of the glove compartment that goes into the air flow box. When it fails, it may damage the Heater Control Module (HCM) and the LED lights do not work and all that is left is the Fan Speed. The Resistor is about $85 and the HCM is about $275 new or $80 used. You can replace each unit yourself.
Most Honda or AC techs know this, and the ones with Integrity don't "take you for a ride" for a couple of grand.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 AM

This is excellent timing. I just noticed last week that I had no operating lights on my A/C controls. I turned the car off and restarted it and they came on just fine. I thought there might be a relay stuck or something of that nature.

I recently changed the cabin air filters, they are located behind the glovebox. Could that have knocked the resister loose?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Can't hurt to look and be sure everything is plugged in all the way.

Does your '01 have auto HVAC or manual HVAC?

....how did you like the snow we got ?

Old 02-17-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Does your '01 have auto HVAC or manual HVAC?

....how did you like the snow we got ?
I've got the manual controls. I'm thinking if the resistor located behind the glovebox is going bad, the fan will not work or will only work in some speeds. I've encountered this in other vehicles. Not sure what would make the AC controls work only some of the time. Going to pull the center console next week and verify all connections are tight.

The snow was stupid. 10 straight hours and not enough on the ground to make a small snowman? Stupid snow.

Quick Reply: AC controls not working, 98