General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ac/Heater fan stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Ac/Heater fan stopped working

The ac/heater fan in my 2003 Accord stopped working a couple of weeks ago. The car is mostly driven by my daughter so I was not particularly in a hurry to fix it but I feel bad now to see her leaving every morning for school in the cold weather and driving her car with winter gloves, scarf and ski hat .
I am going to have a look at this over the week-end but wondering if you guys had any good input for possible causes beside obvious things like fuse or blown fan motor.
Thanks
Al

Last edited by alpac; 02-03-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you should post this in general tech

Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

I'll move it to Gen.Tech.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Before you get into what it could be start with the basics, have you checked the fuses?
That would be the first thing I would look at.
If all the fuses are good I would turn the fan on and check the wires going to the fan under the glovebox area and see if you have +12 volts on one of the wires.
Check those things out and report back if you still need some help.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks folks for your quick response. Yes fuse and wiring is the first thing I will check of course. I was just wondering if there were other things beside that which are known to fail on a 2003 Accord related to the fan.

Jim, thanks for the link very helpful

Al

Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen postings about failed blower speed control unit. It's a solid-state $$$ unit, so you'll want to rule out wiring problems before buying one. That's why I posted the wiring checks. They came from a 2003-2006 Helm shop manual. I don't own the 2003 Accord any more so I sold that book a couple years ago.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I have done some research based on your help. Fuses are ok, the blower motor is ok. I powered it directly with a 12v source and it works great. As far as the blower control switch (called power transistor in this thread) is concerned I am not sure if it works or not. I did the tests that James is suggesting in his post with the following results but I don't know what I can deduce from that.

I unplugged and removed the blower power transistor which is located underneath the dash on the passenger side. I measured the resistance between the 2 wires farthest from the latch on the blower transistor and I got around 1.4k as James's note indicates as correct. As instructed in James's note I remove the #1 wire BLU/YEL from the blower resistor plug, supplied +12v into the empty socket where that BLY/YEL wire was before and turned the key on. The blower did not run.
I am not sure what to conclude. Is the blower power transistor the faulty part or is it upper in the circuit that there is a faulty component.
Thanks
Al

Old 02-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Check for HVAC Codes. Here is the link:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-code-s-34589/

Old 02-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Check the black wire (end of post #1 in that other thread). Is it a good ground?

Check the blower motor itself (see post #2) by touching the blue/black wire to ground. If that doesn't make the motor run, then you have either of 2 things...
1 - Blower motor isn't getting power like it should (check fuses, etc)
2 - Blower motor is bad.

I wish I still had that book so I could look at the circuit diagram again...

Quick Reply: Ac/Heater fan stopped working