General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Default ac help

98 honda accord 2.3 vtec.

Ac was compressor was cycling very quickly a few days ago, Figured it was low so i put a can in it without hooking up gauges..was still cycling quickly an than i heard a loud sound come from down by the compressor everytime the clutch engaged..(see pic) the little thing i circled started spraying out freon everytime the clutch engaged..never seen that before and im not a mechanic but pretty inclined... As of right now when the compressor is off i have 92 lbs on the low side an when it turns on for a split second it drops down to about 75.. ac does not get cold but the clutch will engage for a split second every 15-20 seconds.. Its hott as hell outside.. anyone with advice please???

Attached Thumbnails ac help-accomp.jpg  
Old 05-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You likely have overcharged the system. Sound is pressure relief valve releasing when high side pressure exceeds relief pressure.

Initially, the problem could have been almost anything that caused AC to cycle on/off, perhaps even low charge. However, more likely something that was causing high pressure switch to open the compressor to prevent overpressure. You may have a system blockage; debris in receiver/drier, expansion valve blocking flow.

You could reduce charge level and try to recover to initial conditions (rapid cycling) to confirm blockage. Sometimes a cold spot downstream of the reciever/drier will confirm blockage at the receiver drier. Normally, this should be quite warm.

You may need to perform major repair; replace condensor, evaporator, expansion valve, and compressor if the compressor has siezed and deposited metal through the sytem. Getting debris from a contaminated system is almost impossible, hence need to replace components. Suggest pulling receiver/drier, pour out oil and look for debris.

No easy fix is likely.

good luck

Old 05-17-2014, 05:55 PM

what is the normal lbs the low side should have when the compressor is NOT engaged?.... Now that I have blown the high pressure relief does that mean the compressor is garbarge? is it still useable at all? I dont mind spending a few hundred to get the ac back on track.. I have the tools an knowledge to do it.

Thanks for your help

Old 05-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

For static (compressor not running), pressure in psi will be approximately air temperature in degF if system is cold; 85F ~ 85 psi. This provides no info on whether system is overcharged or uncharged, as long as liquid phase refrigerant is present (very likely).

Compressor relief valve should be replaced at least.

Compressor could be damaged also. Only way to know is to look for debris in receiver/drier, condensor, and AC lines.

good luck