General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Unplug the electrical connector to the driver's side fan. Start the engine and turn on the a/c. Check that you have 12V to that fan electrical connector.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Once the cooling fan motor carbon brushes tumble the fan will never come on again. Verify that 12V is getting to the fan to confirm bad fan. It is possible a failed fan relay wouild disable also. You can swap pax and driver's side fan relays to test relay.

PA is right about the rework. The evaporator has a number of orings prone to leak w/ age. Once systemi is discharged it's not too hard to replace the expansion valve and thermobulb orings after cleaning the oring seats. Also replace all system orings, compressor, receiver drier, condensor, expansion valve connections.

New receiver/drier is also necessary since system was opened. I like to blow out hoses, condensor, and drain evaporator of old oil, and recharge w/ new oil about 8 ozs of PAG to Honda spec (ND 8). Vacuum for at least 30 mins before charging w/ Honda spec amount (23 oz) of R134a. Before charging, check that system will hold vacuum for 5 mins. If vacuum falls to zero, there is a leak, don't charge, find the leak!.

good luck

Old 03-18-2012, 02:29 PM

Well, we run wire directly to driver's fan. Fan is operable, checked all fuses again fine. My dad and I tested some sensors, the green bulb looking things(see picture). The one sensor at the top we were able to make the passenger side fan come on. The sensor on the front of the engine(please tell me this runs the driver's side fan?) Wouldn't do a thing and then there's two sensors below the distributor. One's for the thermostat we figure out(unplugged no temp gauge! Eureka) and the other one's a yellow one, please tell me it's nothing to do with the fans because if it's fault we'd have to remove the distributor to get to it.

He put some wire in the plug to the sensor and bypassed it, and the fan came on. Anybody know how he did it? It worked for the passenger fan, but the driver's fan wouldn't move with this trick.

Pictures:

High res Link: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7180/6...bbb1a6a9_b.jpg

Picture of sensors below distributor:

Last edited by Hondahonda; 03-18-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Since condensor fan runs w/ direct power, the condensor fan relay is likely the problem. The condensor fan (driver's side) relay is near the end of the radiator on driver's side and is the most forward of two back/back fan relays. Rearmost is AC compressor relay.

good luck

Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Are these the relays? Because I believe we swapped them and they both appeared to work, I think.

Last edited by Hondahonda; 03-18-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 PM

Well, both relays are good. I located the ac/clutch wire and swapped the relays both switch on the compressor. I labeled it for future reference with a sharpie. I might even add some green gelpen marker to it, it lights up under my UV light. (Sweet)

The passenger side fan runs all the time, without either relay plugged in!. Is it supposed to be this way?

Bad news: I'm losing daylight

Good news: not much left to test...

Are we sure the driver's fan is supposed to run when the A/C is on on. My friend's saying it's only suppossed to kick on when it gets hot...

Last edited by Hondahonda; 03-18-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Both fans should turn on.

The green connector you shorted is for temp sensor B. That will turn on only the passenger side fine when the key is off.

You want to short temp sensor A. It has a green connector and is on the thermostat housing. Short the electrical connector, then turn on the key. Both fans should turn on.

Leave the sensor under the distributor alone. That is the sensor the ECU uses to determine the coolant temperature.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:28 PM

im following along as well, as my ac fan does not come on, but also works with direct power...

Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Both fans should turn on.

The green connector you shorted is for temp sensor B. That will turn on only the passenger side fine when the key is off.

You want to short temp sensor A. It has a green connector and is on the thermostat housing. Short the electrical connector, then turn on the key. Both fans should turn on.

Leave the sensor under the distributor alone. That is the sensor the ECU uses to determine the coolant temperature.
here's what I found. Not sure if this tells us anything, driver's side fan wouldn't come on.

Short w/ Power on engine off(2nd click)

Top sensor: passenger fan.
Bottom Sensor: no fan

Short w/ No power:

Top sensor: no fan
Bottom Sensor: passenger side fan

Last edited by Hondahonda; 03-18-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:22 PM

I shorted both with the power off, and turned on the key separately each time. I shorted the bottom sensor(off top radiator hose) and only the passenger side fan came on.

What's this tell us? I hope it's not a wire loose in my harness, I was looking at it and saw some electrical tape in there...

Quick Reply: AC Help Needed