General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac leak causing leak passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Default ac leak causing leak passenger side

Everytime I have the ac on, and make any turns I can hear and then see water dripping onto the passenger side floor mat. Any idea how I can fix this without having to take it to a shop?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

most likely the drain tube is plugged..
unless you take it all apart and remove all the debris inside the evaporator any fix will not be permanent,,, get a blow gun if you have access to it and blow up the evap drain tube no need to disconnect the tube from the evap ...

if no compressed air, disconnect the drain tube, get a coat hanger, bend it and stick it inside the evap drain hone ,, have some rags lots of water might come out

Oh and by the way i did not realize that bikes had A/C system,,,,,,,,

Input year and model in your signature please
that is the first thing that you should have done so we know what you need help on

Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 AM

what is the easiest way I can get acces to the evap tube to disconect it? Ill need to use the coat hanger i guess..

Old 08-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

what year is your accord?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:37 PM

97 accord ex

Old 08-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

You don't want to disconnect the drain hose, because it would be a pain to reattach. Plus you would get water pouring into the driver's side floor board and possibly get some water on the ECU.

The evap canister on the pass. side of the firewall in the engine bay just pulls out of the bracket. The drain hose for the a/c should be easily visible once that is out of the way.

Use a coat hanger or a pipe cleaner to free up any debris in there.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:21 PM

Last time I checked..right under the passengers side dash, there's a black canister-like object which is where I noticed the leak was coming from ..is this what I have to pull out in order to get to the drain hose? I just want to make sure ill be pulling out the correct thing..

Old 08-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Yep. That is canister should pull up out of a bracket. No unbolting involved to move the evap canister.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have cleaned my 94EX by using a shop vac to suck the drain tube. This worked temporarily, but drain reblocked again a few weeks later. I had to pull the evaporator and clean the debris. It is doubtful you can clear the debris down the tube, only blow it back out of the way and hope it doesn't return.

If you pull the evaporator, replace all expansion valve and thermal bulb orings as they are prone to leak w/ age.

good luck

Old 08-26-2009, 07:55 AM

I wasnt able to pull the evap canister out, as mine was actually screwed in..but i was able to get to the hose that comes out of the canister and gently use a coat hanger to clean it. So far no leak this morning..

Quick Reply: ac leak causing leak passenger side