General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC problem, need some input

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Default AC problem, need some input

1998 accord exv6

My wife was saying the ac was not working on hot days so I chacked and added some freeon. The system is full now, it was down a little. This is what happens. If you cold start the car and put the ac on it's cool. But once the car warms up it starts blowing warm air. Plus I took the car for a spin and when I was at a stop with the ac on every 30 seconds or so the car would shake a little and the rpm would go down, from a loud on the motor. She told me ya it's been doing that and making these noises I know that's the ac cycling. Even when it worked or works it's never nice and cold. Last year she went to a shop and had the system drained and refilled and it still was not ice cold. After the shop did the job, on hot days in the 80's and up the ac would blow cool not cold. So my thought is it needs a new ac unit or pulley?

Last edited by Mikecsti; 07-05-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Is the mix door closing all the way? I unhooked the cable off the mix door under the dash and was able to close it a little more and now on re circulation it's freezing cold now.

I think when I had the dash apart one time,the cable for the mix door came off its location clips ad was not fully closing the door.If you have a **** to turn it hot or cold,turn it back and forth and listen if it thuds shut going back and forth.

It is a night and day difference with the a.c now.I left the cable unhooked and manually closed it all the way under the dash and left it that way for now.i plan to hook the cable up soon and Mae sure its back in alignment.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM

I did have the dash apart to look at some bolbs that cooked but I did not see that. The car dose not have the **** contrals. Its all digital.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 AM

With the ac off and the car warmed up see if you can get it to blow cool air instead of hot air. If it doesn't blow cool air the problem is probably in the dash as 96fivespeed is saying.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Can you confirm the compressor is cycling on/off over perhaps 20 second cycle? Normal cycle off is caused by evaporator cooling to below 30F and thermostat opening compressor clutch circuit.

Feel the large AC hose where it returns from firewall to compressor. Is it very cold and wet (condensation)?

If yes, the AC system is cooling OK, but blend door is malfunctioning causing too much heating of cooled air.

If no, there is a problem w/ AC system; undercharged, expansion valve, blockage, etc. Use of an ac manifold gauge set to measure system pressures is necessary to understand problem.

good luck

Old 07-10-2013, 02:25 PM

Yes when it is only blowing warm air it's doing so and it shakes and so on.
When it works it cycle like normal and dose not shake.

She told me it was coming out cool last night and I checked it. The line was cool. Not cold and it was not wet. It's strange to me that it works then it dose not not work. The temp out side has been the same around here.

by the way what freon dose the car take, 134 or 12? I hope 134. Because that is what the shop put in last year I just looked at the bill.

Last edited by Mikecsti; 07-10-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:16 PM

Can't understand your reply. Is compressor engaging and running when AC is NOT cooling.

good luck

Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 PM

I was having a problem on my 97 Accord with it not being cool enough. While I was working on something else under the hood, I found the cable that opens and closes the valve for the hot water going to the heater core. If I set the temp to Hot it would full open, and when set to cold it would only about half close. So even when set to cold a/c it was still running hot water through the heater core. I simply gave the little lever a push with my finger and BAM, Ice cold a/c.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:24 AM

I checked the cable and it is working fine. I connected a gauge to it and the system is full. At idle the the pressures heigh was 85 and the low was at 25. At this time the ac was coming out cool. I then revved the motor up and I could hear this loud sound coming from the ac and the pressures went crazy the heigh went to 10 and the low went up to 60. And it started blowing hot air. I took the car for a ride on the highway with the ac on and off. When the ac is off the car is smoth but when the ac was on and blowing cool air or hot the car was hesitating like crazy. I'm thinking because of the load it's putting on the motor because something wrong with the ac unit. So I figrue that's a bad ac unit

Old 07-18-2013, 11:42 AM

If compressor is binding, don't wait. It may shed enough metal to contaminate the entire system and require replacing condensor, evaporator, receiver/drier, and of course compressor.

good luck

Quick Reply: AC problem, need some input