General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC Problems-Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:15 PM
wcc199
Unregistered
Default AC Problems-Any ideas?

I just bought a 1991 Honda Accord SE. The air conditioning was not working when I bought the car....my mistake...I should not have bought it. Oh well, now I am trying to get it fixed. The mechanic has said that it is an electrical problem. He said the compressor is working and all of the other components are working as long as you "jump" them. He said he thinks a wire has come loose and he has no idea which one...any ideas? Anybody else had this problem? He has tested the switch and it is working. I am desperate to find out what is wrong with the car. Please give me any advice you may have....I am starting to HATE this car!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: AC Problems-Any ideas?

Your problem is electrical in nature and will require basic reading of wiring diagram and use of a volt-ohm meter (VOM) to perform fault tracing.

An inoperative blower fan motor will disable the AC. A failed compressor clutch relay, open No 7 fuse (7.5A) which supplies the compressor clutch, defective AC hi/lo pressure switch, failed evaporator thermostat,or defective blower fan switchwill disable the compressor. Most likely seems to be either the AC relay or fuse no. 7, however your mechanic should have checked these.

Suggest getting a wiring diagram for your car. You can download a manual from http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/. Then w/ a VOM, you can check various parts for open circuit.

good luck

Old 05-23-2007, 09:42 PM
wcc199
Unregistered

Thank you for the info. I will pass it on to my mechanic. I am a woman and really have very little knowledge about the ac in the car. More than most women but, not a lot. If I have spent all this money and it is a fuse, I don't know if I am going to be furious or elated! Thanks for the insight.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:41 PM
wcc199
Unregistered

checked the fuse...it was not that. thanks for trying.