General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accelerating Noise

Old 01-02-2008, 08:53 AM
cyberbob
Unregistered
Default Accelerating Noise

I have 2002 Honda Accord -85K mileage (EX- V6) its runs fine except 3 things

1. When i try to accelerate it from stop or accelerate over (2000 RPMS) it on a little uphill it makes a noise which seems like bearing hitting something. Otherwise its seems ok
2. When I drive at a constant acceleration of 1500 RPMS their seems to be a very slight jerk. Is it due to the transmission
3. While driving whenI switch on the AC I feel a little jerk and the gas to power ratio has decreased for a instant and then I have to increase the gas slightly to maintain the same speed

Please suggest the possible problems with these scenarios

Old 01-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Default RE: Accelerating Noise

1) Describe this noise in better detail.
2) Does the jerk happen when the transmission is about to shif into another gear? Or does the transmission seem to be hunting for a gear?Are there any clunking noises coming from the transmission area?
3) That is normal in a Honda. The AC robs power that could be going to the pavement

Old 01-02-2008, 10:22 AM
cyberbob
Unregistered

1. Hmm. lets try that The noise appears to coming from the front left side. The noise appears to as if the bearings hitting something
This happens when accelerating , and in order to avoid it I released the gas and reduce the acceleration to 1500 RPM then the noise seems to be gone.

2. It happens when the transmission is about to shift into another gear

Old 01-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

#1: Still can't comment. When you say front left, are you in the driver's seat meaning near the driver's side headlight or if you are standing in front of the open hood, near the passanger side strut? If the first is the case, driver's side, that's where the tranny is. Have you checked the wheel bearing? Can you video record the sound and post it on youtube and post a link here (have someone record from the driver side back seat and watch the tach and speedo ..... the sound should be audible with the windows closed from the explanation; need to eliminate wind noise from the recording)?

#2: the jerk sounds like the normal gear shift. A Honda auto tranny is very similar to a manual in how it hits neutral for a split second between gears. This can cause a jerk as described if accelerating during the gear change similar to not letting off the throttle when shifting a manual.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:10 PM
cyberbob
Unregistered

1. Sorry for the confusion , Front left when standing in front of the open hood . Will try to get the video for you soon
2. Reliefed with the second answer.

Another quick question
Is it better to buy brake pads from honda and ask the dealer to install it
or go to the dealer and get it done .

Please advise

Old 01-02-2008, 04:47 PM

Personally I DIY brakes for my whole family since dealers and mechanics tend to rip people off on pad changes. If you want OEM pads and the dealer to do the work, then just have them get the pads so they are liable for the parts (fitment, warantee, etc.). Otherwise, I've had great experiances with Hawk HPS pads and friends like their EBC Redstuff pads ..... also Raysbestos makes great products.

So left is the passanger side .... front is near the headlights or the windshield??? Sounds like it could be comming from the PS pump, water pump, Front Right wheel bearing or maybe the belt tensioner .... gotta narrow it down. Can you replicate the noise with the car parked? That would eliminate the possibility of a wheel bearing (slim chance anyway). Try reving it lightly with the Throttle body while you are under the hood to find the sound ..... IDK your skill level under the hood, but in case you are a novice, the TB is connected to the black plastic tubing near the engine and has a wheel with 2 cables on it ..... the cables are for the gas pedal and the cruise control ..... when you turn the wheel they are connected to it is the same as pressing the gas pedal.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:22 PM

unfortunantly, the 98+ transmission is silky smooth when it's good, and jerky when it's bad and dying. depending on the jerk it can be simply a bad motor mount or a bad transmission. i'd get it checked out.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 AM

Hondatech ..... mine isn't jerky, but it hits neutral between gears for about a third of a second. I think if I floor it right then, it would feel jerky from the mismatched rpms.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 AM

Sometimes the money pit feels jerky[&o]

Old 01-03-2008, 11:27 AM

but the money pit is a 5th gen