General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accident: how should I fix the front bumper and the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Question Accident: how should I fix the front bumper and the hood?

Hello Accord Enthusiast Forums,

I got into an accident (because of my fault) and it messed up the front bumper, the hood (bent) and made the passenger door very difficult to open. I'm a student with student loan and such so my budget is quite tight. Thus I'm searching for advice on the cheapest way to make the best out of this situation. My questions are:
- How expensive would it be to repair this?
- Can I buy the parts online to make the repair cheaper? If yes, where do you usually buy the parts?

Thank you for reading!

Last edited by undergrad007; 09-26-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

No pictures.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
No pictures.
Thank you for the reminder! Are links to the images ok?

Old 09-24-2018, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by undergrad007
Thank you for the reminder! Are links to the images ok?
More or less; many, myself included, cannot see those pictures as they are blocked by various firewalls.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The pics are fine. You will need to have it pulled a little before putting replacement parts on.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
More or less; many, myself included, cannot see those pictures as they are blocked by various firewalls.
Thank you! So what would be the best way to share pictures (if needed) here?

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
The pics are fine. You will need to have it pulled a little before putting replacement parts on.
Do you have any rough idea on the cost? Thank you

Old 09-24-2018, 11:13 AM

That's depending on how much of it you are trying to fix. You need left fender, hood with hindges, headlights, front bumper. That will cost around $300-$400 at the junk yard. You may need a support bracket but can't see the underlying damage. If you can find some one to pull it for you for cheap then the rest is replace when you have the money. You might can get away without having to pull it but it's hard to tell without seeing it in person but that all depends on how well you want the car to look (line up) after replacing the damaged parts. The junk yard is going to be your best bet getting the parts because those cars are always available.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:20 AM

That's depending on how much of it you are trying to fix. You need left fender, hood with hindges, headlights, front bumper. That will cost around $300-$400 at the junk yard. You may need a support bracket but can't see the underlying damage. If you can find some one to pull it for you for cheap then the rest is replace when you have the money. You might can get away without having to pull it but it's hard to tell without seeing it in person but that all depends on how well you want the car to look (line up) after replacing the damaged parts. The junk yard is going to be your best bet getting the parts because those cars are always available.
Thank you again! That's a lot of money for me . Is the hood not salvageable at all? That's worse than I thought. I think the headlights are ok because the lights and signals were working when I tested them after the collision

Old 09-24-2018, 11:33 AM

That's why I said it depends on how good of a fix you are trying to get. The clips on the headlights should be broken but they will still work. The hood is bent but the hinges are probably bent with the support bracket causing you not being to close the hood correctly once open.

You can very well not replace anything and have someone pull the passenger fender for the door to open get some tape/rope for the bumper and bam your good to go. As long as there was no fluid leaking and you straighten up you headlights you're good to go

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 09-24-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:32 PM

That's why I said it depends on how good of a fix you are trying to get. The clips on the headlights should be broken but they will still work. The hood is bent but the hinges are probably bent with the support bracket causing you not being to close the hood correctly once open.

You can very well not replace anything and have someone pull the passenger fender for the door to open get some tape/rope for the bumper and bam your good to go. As long as there was no fluid leaking and you straighten up you headlights you're good to go
I see. I couldn't find any junk yards in the small town where I live or maybe I didn't know how to search. Is there a website like yelp for junk yard? What would be the best way to take advantage of the junk yard for a car novice who doesn't have the tools or skills?

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Accident: how should I fix the front bumper and the hood?