General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accident: how should I fix the front bumper and the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Have a friend that has the tools. Everything there is just using basics tools so someone handy can figure out how to replace the parts. It will be time consuming though. Car-part.com has an app and site you can search your area for the parts.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
Have a friend that has the tools. Everything there is just using basics tools so someone handy can figure out how to replace the parts. It will be time consuming though. Car-part.com has an app and site you can search your area for the parts.
Thank you!

Old 09-25-2018, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by undergrad007
I see. I couldn't find any junk yards in the small town where I live or maybe I didn't know how to search. Is there a website like yelp for junk yard? What would be the best way to take advantage of the junk yard for a car novice who doesn't have the tools or skills?

Thank you!
You could try Car-part.com . I've have good luck sourcing parts thru them.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
You could try Car-part.com . I've have good luck sourcing parts thru them.
Thank you Toecutter!

Old 09-26-2018, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by undergrad007
Thank you Toecutter!
What I'd probably do, is strip off the bumper cover, and see how bad the damage is behind it. You might be able to put a chain around it, attached to either a tree or a pick up truck, and pull most of it back out (BTDT before). You might find a good portion may go back into place once it's relieved of the stress/pinch it's in. If not, then you'll at least be able to evaluate what's broken/needs to be replaced before you get in too deep.Personally I'd try and do a pull, and see how much comes back out. Make a list of what needs to be replaced, and price it out.

Keep in mind these cars are only worth about 1500 to 2 grand (at least around me), so you want to keep the price of repairs down, unless you really love the car, and it's got low miles on it.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:22 PM

Quick update on the situation: I went to some top rated body shops in town and they all told me it wasn't worth to fix because the frame was bent because of the collision. Can't even replace the bumper as the new one won't fit. The hood won't be able to close again if trying to open it

My only choice now is just keep using the car until it breaks down :/

Old 09-30-2018, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
What I'd probably do, is strip off the bumper cover, and see how bad the damage is behind it. You might be able to put a chain around it, attached to either a tree or a pick up truck, and pull most of it back out (BTDT before). You might find a good portion may go back into place once it's relieved of the stress/pinch it's in. If not, then you'll at least be able to evaluate what's broken/needs to be replaced before you get in too deep.Personally I'd try and do a pull, and see how much comes back out. Make a list of what needs to be replaced, and price it out.

Keep in mind these cars are only worth about 1500 to 2 grand (at least around me), so you want to keep the price of repairs down, unless you really love the car, and it's got low miles on it.
Thank you! I bought it for like 3 grands and it currently has about 190K miles so probably not worth it for all the repairs