General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident and Subsequent Problem w Progressive - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Default Accident and Subsequent Problem w Progressive - Need advice

Hello

I had lurked for on her before deciding to purchase my 2014 Accord Sedan Sport, new in November 2014. Love the car.

Last week, I was involved in a low speed impact with a Toyota prius. I was stopped, and the driver of the Prius essentially drove into me while accelerating, and hit me around 7 mph. Most of the impact was absorbed by the Driver's side front tire. The wheel was turned to the left at the time of the accident.

The car appeared to not be drive-able due to problems with the steering. The wheel made snapping sounds when turned to the right, and it wasn't turning completely, which made turns at low speeds difficult. There was also noticeable resistance, which is obviously at opposition to Honda's beautifully smooth electric steering.

The car was thus towed to Progressive's concierge service, and the estimate from their autobody shop was for body work only, which I said doesn't make any sense. They assured me that body panels had come into contact with the tire and that was what I was feeling.

They returned the car, and of course the steering problem is still there, identical to post accident. Worse, they were driving it around like that, I'm not sure how or why. They pretended to not have noticed. I was livid. The car was returned to the autobody shop and they indicated to me that the damage was to the inner and outer tie rod ends, and the steering rack, were all bent. They provided no explanation as to how this was missed. The kicker: they said this was unrelated to the original accident, and I would have to open another claim. They said the bent parts were on the passengers side of the car, while the impact was on the drivers side, and they will not cover it under the original claim.

The car was PERFECT up until impact. I have no idea what to do.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest speaking calmly w/ your claim agent and explaining that unless the car is returned to original condition, you will employ a lawyer to pursue your claim, and following through if not satisfied.

Not sure, but steering drive may have enough power to damage compoents if something is blocked which might explain how off-side from accident was damaged. It also is possible an artifact of repair (shop accident!).

good luck

Old 05-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Just notify the insurance company. A supplemental claim can be done between the body shop and insurance company; insurance companies deal with supplement claims regularly.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Just notify the insurance company. A supplemental claim can be done between the body shop and insurance company; insurance companies deal with supplement claims regularly.
Sorry if I was unclear. The insurance company is the one telling me (combines their body shop) that the damage to the steering rack is unrelated. They said because of this, I'd have to open an additional claim and pay an additional $1000 deductible and have another accident on my record.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Suggest speaking calmly w/ your claim agent and explaining that unless the car is returned to original condition, you will employ a lawyer to pursue your claim, and following through if not satisfied.

Not sure, but steering drive may have enough power to damage compoents if something is blocked which might explain how off-side from accident was damaged. It also is possible an artifact of repair (shop accident!).

good luck
I agree - if they're absolutely sure it was not caused by the accident, and assuming this isn't a scam, then either the tow messed it up - or the shop that did the work. But they will not believe me that it wasn't like that before the accident. I am afraid I will have to pursue a law suit. I'll probably break even at best, but hopefully that will concede before it actually goes to court.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:51 AM
Administrator
Talking Hello Member **

I'm seeing you doing a law suite with the situation..Good luck and let us know what happens with this problem.

Attached Thumbnails Accident and Subsequent Problem w Progressive - Need advice-%24_57.jpg  
Old 05-08-2015, 07:55 PM

Hey guys - OP here.

So here is an update. I had a lawyer (friend, so free) draft a "demand letter" which is basically required by law in MA as a prerequisite to a lawsuit.

I contacted Progressive and told them about the demand letter - note that I hadn't actually sent it to them yet. Suddenly, the gears start turning. Sean (the progressive supervisor) indicates to me that "someone will fix this, either the body shop or Honda", because "we give them so much business they will do this favor for me". I told him that doesn't make any sense, again remind them its from the accident and no one except Progressive should be paying for this, but if they're going to fix it then so be it.

Two days after that it was at Honda and the part was ordered. Supposedly, Honda corporate is paying for it as a "good-faith repair". I honestly have no idea if this is BS or not. Picked up the car Thursday and they had done the alignment with the steering wheel at the 3 o'clock position, so if you drove straight down the road the steering wheel showed a turn. Mind you this was Honda, not the autobody shop. Said I could not accept the car, they took it back. Picked it up today, it's better, but instead of at the 12 o'clock position, its at the 1230 position, which I still find unacceptable for a 1 year old car.

Anyway, I took the car. I couldn't deal with their incompetence anymore. This entire experience has been so stressful and at times bizarre. The lesson learned, absolutely, is go to my own shop and not their recommended shop. None of this would have happened.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I guess this is "resolved", but like I said the wheel isn't perfect.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:36 AM

Contact an attorney, often a simple letter of intent from a law office will persuade the insurance company to re-evaluate their stance