General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord 2000 - Battery drained, jumped start, no power inside, except honking non-stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 06:04 PM
Default Accord 2000 - Battery drained, jumped start, no power inside, except honking non-stop

Cold winter, couldn't start (weak cranking). So, tried to jump start with cable. Connected battery to battery (usually works this way). Unfortunately this time, I heard a "pop" before I could get inside the car to start the engine. And the honk went off. But I couldn't start ... no power, no light, no nothing, except honking non-stop.

From then on, the honk will just goes off non-stop but there is absolutely no power in the car at all. No ignition cranking sound, there is just no light, and no nothing at all on the dashboard.

Tried lock & unlocking the driver seat door (with key). Nothing.

It looks like there could be short-circuit? But I check the manual - Honda Accord 2000 SE http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...u/AC0000OM.PDF Page 288 - 292, I don't see anything that suugest it is a fuse to power the ignition? I imagine the fuse should be located under the hood (if there is one) ... Could it be #21 50A 1G1 Main?

The battery is only 6 months old. And it's not feasible to have this car towed to the garage for any kind of repair... It's just too old to spend money on any significant repair.

Is there anything else I can look at, or do to revive the car? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like one of the main fuses in the underhood fuse panel went. Which one will be hard to guess at. Most of them have a "window" you can look through with a flash light to see if it is blown - then there is a test light/volt meter to both sides - or test for continuity across the "pins" of the fuse(s).

As far as the alarm, another hard call as we don't know if this is factory or aftermarket?

Old 01-04-2018, 03:50 AM

Alarm, another hard call as we don't know if this is factory or aftermarket?

- Alarm is original factory
The weather is too cold ... Will let you know if I can spot any blown fuse.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2018, 12:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Definitely sounds like a blown main fuse. That pop was probably it blowing. And since you have no power inside the car, that definitely leans toward a blown fuse.