General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord 2001 wont start and stall-missing inertia switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Default Accord 2001 wont start and stall-missing inertia switch

Hi
I have a 2001 accord auto. 2.0
Sometimes the car does not start and it stalls on me. It does crank.I have changed main relay and switch and battery. No issues. No engine faults. No lights on dashboard. I noticed if the key light and engine management light comes on and off when i turn key then the car starts if not it wont start and it takes a minute or so and the lights come on and and then car starts fine.
I have taken it to Honda and they could not find the fault but said that the relay,ignition switch and battery are fine and that my inertia switch is missing, I dont want to throw anymore money at it. So can anyone tell me if this switch could cause the car to display these symptoms mentioned above?
The wires in and out of the inertia switch have been taped together by previous owners.

Please help

Thanks
Sam

Old 12-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

You say 2.0 liter so you're not in USA, right?

I'm not exactly sure what an inertia switch is, maybe something that's not used on USA cars??

Old 12-21-2009, 03:00 PM

Hi Jim

Yes, you are quite right I am in the UK. All cars have an inertia switch. it stops the fuel if the car is involved in an accident.

Thanks for your time

Sam

Old 12-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Well, if the inertia switch is MISSING(!) it would not be able to start. At all. So how does it start after waiting a bit?

I'd check for lack of spark vs. lack of fuel. The inertia switch kills the fuel, right? So IF that's the problem you should be able to spray some starter fluid or throttlebody-cleaner into the throttle, and it'll start & run for a second or 2.

----

Over here a similar function is programmed into the ECU. If the tachometer signal disappears the fuel pump shuts off. But that doesn't help if you're in a collision where the engine is still running.

I usually get on about where someone is located because there's a zillion little things like this that are different from one country to another.