General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord 2013 Fuel Economy - Are You Seeing A Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Accord 2013 Fuel Economy - Are You Seeing A Difference?

I just thought this was interesting. I have close to 6,000 miles on my 2013 Accord EX-V6 Coupe now and (for the most part), love it! Aside from the known audio issues, it's been a joy to drive.

Upon buying the car, the sales guy said "Just leave Econ Mode On, if you just drive around town. Turn it off on the highway if you want (for merging, etc), but I would just leave it on all the time". So I thought, fine, I'll leave it on and didn't think much about it.

I know that there is definitely a difference in how the car handles/performs with Econ Mode off. Occasionally, I would turn Econ Mode off just to get a different feel, but mashed the button for around town driving. Now that I have some mileage on the car, I decided to start tracking the MPG's per fill-up AND see what the difference is between Econ Mode and No Econ Mode. I was surprised by what I saw.

As you can see from the picture, each of these represents a "tank of gas" or a reset of the trip mileage at each fill-up. I can't see any difference in AVG MPG's based on whether I have Econ on, off, A/C or no A/C. Just for reference, I have about 50/50 Highway and City driving. Weather here in the South warmed up quickly, thus the sudden change over from No A/C to Some A/C.

Anyone else out there starting to think Econ Mode is a load of hooey?

Attached Thumbnails Accord 2013 Fuel Economy - Are You Seeing A Difference?-audio.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 PM

That's interesting. We only have 450 miles on our 2013 Accord EX (4cyl) SVT and just started using the ECON button yesterday. I think I noticed a difference last night when I turned it on. I got up to 40mpg on a 20mi. trip from my son's house. It was 80 hwy 20% city. But I was driving like grandma and paying attention to the throttle and the screen to make sure the MPG kept going up.
You are getting pretty good gas mileage for a V6. So far we 've been getting 25-27mpg with our 4cyl Accord, about 50/50 hwy/city, but the motor is not broken in yet, and I am sure my wife has a lead foot. She doesn't want to hear about breaking in a new car. She drives like she always does. I just can't get through to her
Harry

Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I got a chuckle out of your post, Harry! Thankfully my wife is pretty good about how she drives the car....she still rolls her eyes when I watch like a hawk as she backs out of the driveway.

I noticed when I hit about 1,000 miles, my MPG's when up only by 1 MPG. I wouldn't classify my driving as aggressive, but I don't drive like a grandma either. I am pleased with what I am getting out of it.

I am going to keep ECON off for the next few tanks just to get a good average. I'll post back here in a few weeks with my results. I'd be interested in hearing from others as well to see what their experience is.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:45 PM

Well in the other (technical?) forum here some people said they get better gas mileage with the ECON off in their 2013's. So I think I am just going to try to get a baseline with ECON on for a week or so, and then turn it off and see what we get. Unfortunately not every trip is the same, so we might be comparing apples with oranges..

Harry