General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accord 87 problems.... Agian

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Tater516
Unregistered
Default accord 87 problems.... Agian

Ok so i gave up on fixing the idle because i am going into the navy in a few weeks but a new problem is making it hard to do anything... I have found that when i am accelerating the car sputters and if i dont stop pushing the gas it dies. It is like the fuel is getting cut off. I dont believe it is the fuel pump because it revs fine in nutral. It will shake and bake if i give it more than a hair of gas in any gear but first... anything cheap would be helpful i mean hell i'm going to sell it to a junk yard in a month if putting duct tape on the fuel lines is what i have to do to make it till then then its all good. I need a cheap fix, or just someone who can tell me what it is so i dont have to pay someone to "fix it" i can tell them to fix something more specific. I dont think it is the carb either but thats just speculation. Any help is appreciated. Its carb 4 cilinder 5 speed. Anything else just ask. Thanks again.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: accord 87 problems.... Agian

If this is a carbuerator-equipped car, the accelerator pump is probably worn out. This will cause failure to accelerate. It can be replaced, but not sure how difficult on your car. This is not the only possible reason for your problem. Carbed engines of that era are hideously complex.

good luck

Old 03-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Try a new dist. rotor, and a fresh set of spark plugs if not already done.
Your problem could be loss of good spark under load

Old 03-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Tater516
Unregistered

It seems to be getting spark cuz i took a plug out and cranked it and it made hell of a lot of sparks. Oh and i just found out that if it sitts for too long it wont start And i have to use starter fluid to get it running...... I think. It hasnt started running yet.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Had you stayed with your original post;
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_4..._/tm.htm#41544
People would know WTF is going on! [sm=chairshot.gif]
your last statement of THATthread says fuel is dripping in to the carb throat.
AKA DUMPING.
install new floats and seats

Old 03-05-2007, 11:31 PM
flamedstang95
Unregistered

All I can tell you is that I was having the same problems last summer and didn't think it was the fuel pump at all. I changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, accelerator pump. Nothing! Then I took it to the honda dealership in my area and it ended up being the fuel pump. Don't rule it out, they can be tricky sometimes.