General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord 93 CODE 43

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Default Accord 93 CODE 43

Accord 93 ex, 2 door, AUTO, 168k.

Things Ive done recently: Oil change, new battery, new spark plugs, new radiator cap.

My fans stopped working awhile back. Car was wrecked by previous owner so wiring is screwy. I had a pass through installed by my mechanic, which runs under my steering wheel where i flip the switch to turn the fan on.

Problem is, after picking up my car from him (fans work great with the switch now), on the way home the CEL came on and throws CODE 43. Is this coincidence or did he not reconnect something in my car?

I plan on getting o2 sensor sometime this week along with fuel filter and pcv valve. I have been getting terrible gas mileage. Im lucky to get 20mpg on avg. (has been happening for awhile now)

Coincidence the code came up? Thanks for any help

Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Get the new O2 installed and lets go from there. I'm betting/guessing that is the issue.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:16 PM

So Im mechanically inept and cannot find the location of the o2 sensor. I read somewhere exhaust manifold, but i still cannot find it. Any help?

Also, Im ordering the part from rock auto, and not sure whether to order male or female?

Thanks guys

Old 10-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Code 43 is a problem in the heated oxygen sensor circuit or a problem in the fuel supply system. So that's deffinatly the problem and most likely the cause of your poor MPG. It's probably time for a new sensor anyways so good idea to replace it.

There's actually 2 locations for the sensor due to 2 slightly different exhaust systems between the DX, LX and the EX, SE. On your EX the sensor is located further down the exhaust system right before the cat. converter, right under the passenger side CV axle.

It might be a little hard to get out. Use an O2 socket to remove it, or cut the wires and put a 7/8 box wrench or deep well socket on it, but once you cut the wires there's no going back. Once you get the new one in, the torque spec is 33ft/lbs if you're into torquing things down, or you could use the more famous "good and tight" torque spec too.

I think the difference in the male and female sensors is what type the connector plug is and that probably matters if you have the DX, LX or the EX, SE. I don't want to tell you wrong but if I remember correctly the EX has the female type, but don't quote me on that. I do know that the OEM part number for the EX sensor is 36531PK3A05 if that helps any. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
Code 43 is a problem in the heated oxygen sensor circuit or a problem in the fuel supply system. So that's deffinatly the problem and most likely the cause of your poor MPG. It's probably time for a new sensor anyways so good idea to replace it.

There's actually 2 locations for the sensor due to 2 slightly different exhaust systems between the DX, LX and the EX, SE. On your EX the sensor is located further down the exhaust system right before the cat. converter, right under the passenger side CV axle.

It might be a little hard to get out. Use an O2 socket to remove it, or cut the wires and put a 7/8 box wrench or deep well socket on it, but once you cut the wires there's no going back. Once you get the new one in, the torque spec is 33ft/lbs if you're into torquing things down, or you could use the more famous "good and tight" torque spec too.

I think the difference in the male and female sensors is what type the connector plug is and that probably matters if you have the DX, LX or the EX, SE. I don't want to tell you wrong but if I remember correctly the EX has the female type, but don't quote me on that. I do know that the OEM part number for the EX sensor is 36531PK3A05 if that helps any. Let us know how it goes and good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I copied the sensor part number and amazon came up. I put the order in. Appreciate the information.

I failed my emissions test today. Hopefully this will make it pass. Also changing fuel filter, pcv valve in helping it pass.