General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Unregistered
Default Accord engine knock

I've owned my 96 Accord for about 3 years now, and have put a little over 100,000 highway miles on it. It now has 145,000 and has been an EXCELLENT car. No major problems, no breakdowns, etc. I stay on top of the maintenance and upkeep, including Mobil1 synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles. However, for about the last 50,000 miles or so, I've noticed a 'knock' from the engine between 2,000-2,500 rpms. When revving the engine via the throttle cable, I can also feel the 'vibration' in the engine caused by the knock. If I rev the engine above 2500 rpms or under 2000, the knock tends to fade out. I have experienced spark knock (pinging) before, and this is definitely not that. I've asked several Honda technicians about it, and have heard that it could be anything from a main bearing to wrist pin knock. Apparently, it isn't uncommon in the F22 4-cylinder engines. I've also spoken with a few other Accord owners who claimed to have been experiencing the same engine noise, but were unable to get definite answers. Is this 'knock' harmful to the engine? Will it cause sudden engine failure? These are things I'd like to find out. I love my car and I've taken exceptionally good care of it to keep it running reliably for many more years/miles. I commonly see these cars with well over 200,000 miles and would like to achieve the same results.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Default RE: Accord engine knock

In my opinion knock is never good. Having said that it may run forever in spite of the knock. The now obsolete Ford 300 cid 6 cylinder truck engine is a prime example. It knocked when it started and when it ran, but was a long term hauler. It could be as simple as a gummed up engine or it could be more serious. There is a product called AutoRX that is quite amazing at cleaning up engines. It's not inexpensive and requires that you follow the instructions to the "T", but it works and may be worth a try. It is proven and would be less expensive than a full tear down and rebuild. A google search will give more info. You can also receive detailed instruction from Frank the owner for your particular case. No, I don't sell it.

For more information go here http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...?ubb=forum;f=1 I go to the site daily to learn.
Use the search feature and enter AutoRX. I hope this helps you.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:40 AM
Unregistered

Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely look into it and give it a try!

Old 01-13-2005, 04:05 AM
Administrator

KNOCK>>KNOCK>>KNOCK.......

NOT GOOD!!!!

I fully agree with RTexasF ...he speak mighty powerful words..

Hey Tex...wish it would quit raining long enoughf to wash my Honda, how about working some magic here in Ohio and wave that Magic Stick you carry and wave away that rain...Please[sm=hail.gif]

WheelBrokerAng[sm=patriot.gif]

Old 01-13-2005, 09:03 AM

Consider it done!

Old 01-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Unregistered

LOL!

Old 01-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Well.......it only worked for about 10 minutes here but that was good enough to run to the car and run back without getting wet.

Later:

WheelbrokerAng[sm=shades.gif]

Old 01-15-2005, 11:45 AM

Well......I only waved it once, short term magic.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

Well, I made it to my appointment at the Honda Car Clinic to drop my car off and let the techs. diagnose it. They called me about an hour ago to inform me that they think I have a bad crankshaft/bearings which is cuasing my engine to knock between 2,000-2,500 rpms. They are giving me several options. Drop the oil pan and replace the bearings for $600 which may extend the life of the engine another 50,000 miles or so. Have a used, low mileage engine dropped in for approx. $1700 or I can just continue driving the car with the noise as I have for the past 50,000 miles. They warned me that eventually the engine would sieze. I don't exactly what to think at this point. I can't imagine this being the case on an engine that has been so well maintained and with relatively low mileage. Could it be possible that they are misdiagnosing the noise? Should I get a second opinion? They seem pretty confident that it's the crankshaft and/or bearings. Yikes! Should I still give that AutoRX a try? Right now, I'm thinking I'll just continue to drive the car for a while and later sell it to buy something newer with less miles (such as a Toyota Camry, maybe I'll have better luck with Toyota!) Or just go ahead and sell it now before the noise gets any worse to the point no one wants to buy it!

Old 01-18-2005, 07:46 AM

Alex,

I always think a second opinion is a good idea. The AutoRX is a superior product but it can't help bad bearings. If the car is good shape otherwise, and a second opinion agrees, I would be tempted to spend the $600. Then decide if you are going to keep it or sell it before it starts making racket again, which it likely will due to the fact that the crank is not being removed, trued, and polished.

One thing is for sure......your chances of selling the car with the knock are not good unless you offer it at a "giveaway" price. Do get another opinion because it's just plain unusual to have bad crank bearings on a Honda @ 100K, especially since you said it's been making the noise for quite a while.

Here's another angle. A used oil analysis will tell you for sure if it is a bearing problem by the amount and type of wear metals in the oil. Blackstone Labs does this and it would run about $35.00. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/spectrometry.html