General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord runs rough when cold put OK when warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Default Accord runs rough when cold put OK when warmed up

When I first got the car it ran fine, that is I start the car and 30 seconds later drive off without any problems. What’s happening now is the car starts and idles fine, however if I don’t allow the car to warmup and drive off the car lacks power, it’s sluggish, runs a little rough (almost as if there is a crossed plug cable) and a ticking sound until I drive a few miles. Once the care is warmed up it drives great.

I was using a fuel injector cleaner and this improved the performance but not to the level it was before. I have changed the distributor cap, rotor, PVC valve (Honda) and air filter and of course the oil is changed regularly with Mobile1 oil. What should I start examining first?

PS I live in a hot climate.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Does the check engine light turn on for two seconds when you first turn the key to the II position? Does it turn on after that?

Does the D4 light ever start blinking?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:22 PM

The check engine light works properly. It comes on when the key is turned then it goes off again when the car starts.

However, I have an old thread in this forum where my CEL came on and it diagnosed a bad vehicle speed sensor. After a few weeks the CEL went away. Later it came up again and again stated a bad vehicle speed sensor and then went away again. I looked though the repair receipts from the previous owner the speed sensor was replaced in late 2008 but it doesn’t say what brand.

As of right now, the CEL is on as of a couple of days ago. This occurred once before were the CEL came on for a few days. It occurred the day after I used some Seafoam as well as unplugging the electrical connector to the EGR valve while the car was running. I did the same this time before the CEL came on again. If I remember that time I disconnected the battery and after that the CEL went away. I will try this again tomorrow.

The D4 does not flash or blink. It is on, green and steady.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

You can pull the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box to clear the ECU of code(s) you may have caused by disconnecting items.

When the check engine light turns back on, then have the code(s) scanned at a parts store, then post the code on here. Just to be thorough.

I read your original thread about the VSS. Did you ever replace it?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:57 PM

I just pulled the fuse and the CEL went away. The CEL comes on normally when I turn the key then goes out again as it should. I never replaced the vehicle speed sensor since the CEL went way after after a short period.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Might have flaky wiring for the VSS?? Occasionally it disconnects? Corrosion? Loose wiring plugs?

Old 11-13-2010, 12:15 PM

I've check the cable harness to the vss with a meter and all checks fine. I also unplugged the connectors and sprayed them with electrical cleaner. On cool days the symptoms last longer as it takes the car longer to warmer up.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

It could possibly be the coolant temperature sensor (#12) in image.

Attached Thumbnails Accord runs rough when cold put OK when warmed up-water-temp-sensor.jpg  
Old 11-14-2010, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info. How do I go about testing this 2 wire coolant temperature sensor?

Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bjr001
Thanks for the info. How do I go about testing this 2 wire coolant temperature sensor?
You can take it out and boil it and measure the resistance; however, deserthonda's way is easier. See this thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ead.php?t=5682

Quick Reply: Accord runs rough when cold put OK when warmed up