General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord Transmission Solenoid - Waste of Time??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Default Accord Transmission Solenoid - Waste of Time??

Theres a few posts here about cleaning or replacing the tranny solenoid on 98-02 Accords. Unless someone actually experienced success with this fix, it appears this fix does not correct the 1-2 tranny shift issue.

Also, none of the posts indicate which solenoid they replaced. In looking at the diagrams, there appears to be several solenoids identified. So which one is the culprit?

I have a 2000 Accord V6 with a some harshness in 1-2 shifting when accelerating fast but shifts smoothly when accelerating slowly. I am trying to see if there is merit to this solenoid fix or is it just a waste of time.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Just me but no. With this gen accord, I might pull the solenoid and clean it....change the fluid with Honda trans fluid and then drive the car, with its issues, as far as it will go.

If and when the trans gives out, be sure to get a rebuilt unit with the proper upgrades to prevent another/further failures.

Again...just my opinion.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Just me but no. With this gen accord, I might pull the solenoid and clean it....change the fluid with Honda trans fluid and then drive the car, with its issues, as far as it will go.

If and when the trans gives out, be sure to get a rebuilt unit with the proper upgrades to prevent another/further failures.

Again...just my opinion.
So you're saying its not a waste of time? And which solenoid to clean? I am only saying this because none of the posts seem to say that messing with the solenoid actually worked.

My tranny has the new Honda synthetic tranny oil. I have 2 cases of them so all my Accords have them on it.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 PM

waste of time

Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hamster108
waste of time
It would be good to hear from anyone who had success with doing this. But may be no one has had good results.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Well, you can try and let us know how it goes?

Shift C is for 1-2, 2-1 shifts.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Transmission Solenoid - Waste of Time??-6th-gen-v6-trans-shift-b-c.jpg   Accord Transmission Solenoid - Waste of Time??-6th-gen-trans-solenoids-6-cyl.jpg  
Old 12-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Worth a Shot

A sticking solenoid may cause some shifting problems. Although they don’t usually wear out, debris from the transmission can get in the solenoid. These solenoids can be removed, cleaned and reinstalled. The solenoid seals are molded out of rubber usually include a screen. The best way to clean the solenoids is to spray brake cleaner and WD40 into the feed and exhaust holes and then bang the sealing surface that bolts against the transmission against a very hard surface. Do this about three or four times to make sure it gets clean. Unfortunately, even if this works, you’ll likely have to do it again, because whatever clogged it the first time is likely to clog it again. It’s worth it to try this as the only other alternative will probably be to replace the tranny.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:00 PM

Thanks for your response on this. I'm handy with cars but not having done a honda tranny solenoid, can you tell me where exactly these solenoids are in the car?

Thanks

Old 12-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Solenoids

The solenoids are located outside the transmission on the top of the bell housing. They should be accessible from the top. Hope this helps.