General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission solenoid or do I need a new tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Default Transmission solenoid or do I need a new tranny?

I have owned my accord for a year now and since day one it has had an abnormal shift from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 1st. The problem hasnt worsened or gotten better since owning it. I know this generation accords had bad tranny's so I wanna hear what you all think that way I can get it replaced or rebuilt here within the next month or two.
Thanks.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Are there any codes stored in the PCM? Some parts stores will do this for free (you are not in CA).

Yes there could be an issue with shift C solenoid or the second clutch pressure switch.....the other "possible" issues are internal to the trans - rebuild.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:46 AM

There are no codes in the PCM (just for fuel pressure regulator, unrelated). I tested solenoid c, ohms measured 15.3 and also applied power to it to hear if it clicks and it does but when I first put power to the solenoid that first click isn't nearly as loud as the click when the valve closes, it was so quiet it took me about 5 times to finally hear it with my head in the engine. Should both clicks sound about the same? I don't know if that's normal or not, maybe the valve isn't fully opening?

Old 01-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

You might want to pull the solenoid and get it "closer" to you and test it again.....get a better listen.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:14 PM

Okay I'll try that. Do I need to drain the fluid or is there anything special I need to do when removing it? Should the clicks sound about the same?

Old 01-11-2015, 05:37 PM

No need to drain the transmission to remove a solenoid, just a few 10mm head bolts and the electrical connector. You will find a screen attached to the solenoid, make sure that the screen is free and clear of build up. I can only assume that you hav a V6 otherwise transmission problems are not that common and that can make a difference on diagnosis. I have seen nothing in the posts regard a V6 or 4cyl so please provide. Either way there is no issue pulling a solenoid to better diagnose.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:47 PM

It's a 4 cylinder. So the V6 models are the ones with bad tranny's?

Old 01-12-2015, 12:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Different thought here. During your ownership period the condition
has not changed. So, just do an A/T fluid drain and fill and keep driving it.

Your's is a 12 yr old car; mine's a 17 yr old car and there are
some detail things old car owners (at least me) just don't address...

$0.02

Last edited by UhOh; 01-12-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by robbierob02
It's a 4 cylinder. So the V6 models are the ones with bad tranny's?
Yes the V6's are the ones with the common transmission issues. It cost little to pull solenoid and clean it though. You can use CRC lectra-motive spray cleaner to help clean the screen or a throttle body cleaner works OK. As yes, I would keep changing the fluid and see if it gets better. Note that a drain and fill only removes about 30% of the total fluid, thus the old saying the solution to pollution is dilution, meaning by changing the fluid, driving the car and changing the fluid a few time you are bettering the overall quality of the fluid in the transmission. There has been several occasions over the years where a car came in with subtle shifting problems and all it needed was a multi fluid drain and fill.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

IMHO, the 6cyl just "seems" to kill the trans quicker than the four. Either way the auto trans in the 98-02 (either engine) had more than their share of failures. I'd also use only Honda Trans fluid in these.

Quick Reply: Transmission solenoid or do I need a new tranny?