General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord v. Civic: What to get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Default Accord v. Civic: What to get?

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a new car, and am torn between the Civic EX-L or a barebones Accord (LX or LX-P).

I know this is an Accord board so there may be some bias, but hopefully I can get some good advice.

My largest concern with the Civic is safety. I know it has all the safety features the Accord does, but the Accord is just a larger vehicle. Will this extra size make the Accord a safer vehicle? Or is a Civic plenty safe enough?

ALSO, if I decide to go with an Accord, would it be worth it to just pony up and get the extra 13-hp in the EX version?

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

I think that the amount of room inside of the car would be the deciding factor for me.

If you google honda accord safety rating it gets a score of 9.8. The civic is 9.6, so I would say that they are both safe vehicles.

You will have to make that decision between the Accord/Civic considering factors like the price, gas mileage, power, space, features, etc. Test drive both vehicles to see which one you like the best. If you go with the accord, drive a LX and an EX to see if the extra HP is worth the money.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Crash ratings compare cars that crash into similar-size-weight cars.

When a small car crashes into a large car, the ratings don't really apply directly. So YES, the size of the Accord does help make it safer.

Still, if it were ME, I'd choose based on comfort, size, price, & everything else. Civic & Accord are so different from each other, that it's not really a choice of which is better. More like YOU have to choose which type/size of car you WANT.

Me, I really LIKE the new-ish Civics. The seat & steering wheel are just more comfortable for me.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Default Accord vs Civic

Both Jim & PAHonda hit on some good points. We're talking about both cars being 4 door sedans right? My 2 door 1990 Accord is fun only cause I enjoy driving a manual transmission & my son put cool snowboard stickers on it. I stand six feet tall & it's a pain getting out of...I am 51.
Test daughter ONE drives a 4-door 2005 Civic & thinks the Accord is to big for her. Our 2005 Accord is a 4 door & a great car for the wife & I, we love the room it has.
As far as engine size our 2005 has a 2.4 liter & works well around Las Vegas & runs well on trips north or over to the coast.
Either way you go both cars should work for you.

John

Drive Safer

Old 01-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The Civic is smaller with a stiffer more handing ride as is its interior is designed. If you want a soft semi smooth ride get the Accord if you stiff and sporty get the Civic. Tests drive them you will see what I mean. The Acura Integra used to be based on the Civic and may still be. Years ago we had all the paper work done to purchase one and did a test drive my wife who is five ten head hit the headliner. We had an Accord at the time.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Also, keep in mind that both cars have been getting bigger & bigger over the years. A 2010 Civic is about the size of a 1990 Accord, if not bigger. A 2010 Accord is way bigger than anything Honda made in 1990.