General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Accord will not start.

Year: 1992
Model: Honda Accord Four Door
Engine: Four Cylinder
Transmission: Automatic
Problem: Car will not start.
CEL Codes: None
New Parts: Coil, Plug Wires, Spark Plugs, Cap, Rotor.

I brought the car home and planned to tune it up. I parked it and pulled off one of the plug wires, only to find it had oil on it. Pulled all the plug wires to notice the same for each. The seals on the valve cover were bad, causing oil to leak into the spark plug area's. I bought a gasket set and replaced the main valve cover gasket and the ones going around the holes. I pulled all the plugs. Which allowed some oil to get into the cylinders, I figured it'll burn off.

After cleaning the spark plugs, I reinstalled them into their original holes. I tried to start the car, and what do you know? It didn't start. I figured the plugs were just oily and was not sparking well. I replaced the spark plugs and the wires, all oil free and tried to start it. Again, it would not start.

I checked spark at the plugs and didn't have any. I checked the coil, and it barely had spark. I replaced it with a different one. The coil now has strong spark, as do all of the spark plugs. Still, it would not start. I then decided, maybe the cap and rotor are bad? I looked to see that they were worn, but didn't seem to be that bad. I replaced them both anyways.

The car will crank, and after awhile it will start to fire but not enough to start. You can clearly SMELL fuel, almost as if it was flooded. I tried manually choking it. (Covering the intake hole.) At first it seemed like it helped, but I don't think it did. It basically just sits there ALMOST firing enough to start, but will not.

So I thought, okay MAYBE since it has spark, it is for some reason not getting fuel. (Even though I can smell it.) I took some starting fluid and sprayed it into the intake, and it didn't change what it was doing at all. So I have come to think that I have good fuel, and good spark.

Now I need help deciding what to do next. You've read my story and any and all suggestions would be helpful. If a fuel pressure reading is needed I could provide that. But I assume it has good fuel flow. (Mainly because starting fluid did not change it's symptoms + I could smell it.)

So what could have happened between installing the valve cover gasket and trying to start it that would cause it to NOT start?

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who replies.

Last edited by Prozon; 07-11-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe you installed the wires in the wrong order on the distributor cap? That would give you fuel and spark, but the spark would come at the wrong time.

Did you remove the distributor at all?

I am not sure what an AL accord model is? Is your car European?

Anyway, the #1 should be marked on the distributor cap. Look at the cap from the passenger side and counting clockwise, the order is 1, 3, 4, 2. #1 would be at the 1 o'clock position looking from the passenger side.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I don't even think the model is "AL" it's what the title said.

The spark plug wires are in the correct order, I didn't mess with them and I double checked.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Did you remove the distributor? You may have installed it 180 degrees off?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
you cannot do that,
unless you force the bolts in,, but that might snap the housing ..

If you are getting spark and fuel........

remove the spark plugs, clean them or install new ones NGK ZFR5F-11...put a tiny bit of tranny fluid in each cylinder ( while plugs are out) install plugs and try to start it ,, Do not pump accell pedal ,just hold it to the floor ,,

Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

“I checked spark at the plugs and didn't have any. I checked the coil, and it barely had spark”

To have spark at the coil but not at the spark plugs would be a problem with the cap and rotor. Does the rotor turn? I realize you replace both components later.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The distributor was never removed.

Originally Posted by deserthonda
remove the spark plugs, clean them or install new ones NGK ZFR5F-11...put a tiny bit of tranny fluid in each cylinder ( while plugs are out) install plugs and try to start it ,, Do not pump accell pedal ,just hold it to the floor ,,
It has new spark plugs as well as plug wires. Trying to start it with that method did not help.

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
To have spark at the coil but not at the spark plugs would be a problem with the cap and rotor. Does the rotor turn? I realize you replace both components later.
Honestly I don't know if the rotor turns? I haven't looked at it with the cap off.. I assume so as multiple cylinders are firing. And yes, the cap and rotor are brand new.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So does anybody else have any idea's? I mean.. just something random is better then nothing. I'm really lost on this car.

Could someone point me towards a post or article that describes how to run a self-test for engine codes? I've done it on my OBD1 truck, but i'm not sure where the diagnostic port is on this car.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Supper Moderator

how to check your codes is in the DIY area of the forum.

You said the dizzy plugs and wires where changed right?...you also said you are gettin very low voltage at the coil...have you tried to change the coil? IF the coil is bad then you will get no spark to the dizzy or plugs.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

My two cents.
Check the ground on the valve cover, honda's are very picky about grounds.
You have spark, checked that it is present and wires are on in the proper order. Check cam timing. Not sure when the belt was last replaced. Could the belt have jumped?...might as well check valve lash while you are there.

Quick Reply: Accord will not start.