General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by g22cd5
You said the dizzy plugs and wires where changed right?...you also said you are gettin very low voltage at the coil...have you tried to change the coil? IF the coil is bad then you will get no spark to the dizzy or plugs.
Yes, as I mentioned in the first post, I put a new coil on the car. I edited the post and put a list of parts. Hopefully it will help out the people who don't want to read it all.

Originally Posted by poorman212
My two cents.
Check the ground on the valve cover, honda's are very picky about grounds.
You have spark, checked that it is present and wires are on in the proper order. Check cam timing. Not sure when the belt was last replaced. Could the belt have jumped?...might as well check valve lash while you are there.
The wire on the valve cover seems to be the only thing that I would think to cause this problem as it was removed when I took the valve cover off. However, it's on snug. I don't know if there's anything else I can do for it.. as for the timing belt, well I could check it.. not sure how I could have managed to knock the timing off while changing the gasket but who knows, might have slipped.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ground off valve cover has nothing to do with it,,,,,,,,,,,you can have that off and car still will start and drive normally

Old 07-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well then does anybody else have any suggestions? It was my best guess as to a problem seeing as how it was the only thing unplugged before it stopped working.

And I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could read the first post before suggesting that I do things that I have already listed that I have done.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by deserthonda

If you are getting spark and fuel........

remove the spark plugs, clean them try to start car, Do not pump accell pedal ,just hold it to the floor ,,
did you chk the plugs if they are oil fouled ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I KNOW that you said you installed new ones , but you also said that some oil went into the cylinders when plugs were out..

not much that anyone can do to make car not starting when just replacing valve cover gasket and upper seals ,,,

Old 07-11-2010, 09:24 PM

If you have spark, fuel and compression it should start unless the new plugs are fouled. If something happened that made the fuel system go to full rich it can be very hard to start before the plugs became fouled. I have had no start problems where I had to pull the plugs out and crank the motor to get the gas out of the cylinders and even a few it took an oil change also as the oil was so contaminated with gas. Does the dip stick smell of gas?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
If something happened that made the fuel system go to full rich it can be very hard to start before the plugs became fouled. I have had no start problems where I had to pull the plugs out and crank the motor to get the gas out of the cylinders and even a few it took an oil change also as the oil was so contaminated with gas. Does the dip stick smell of gas?
I don't really think the oil smells of gas, but I bought all the stuff for an oil change, so I could try that..

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
If you have spark, fuel and compression it should start unless the new plugs are fouled.
Just thought I would seperate that to say this.. sometimes with fuel injection it's complicated. Stupid sensors or little wires can keep the whole operation down.

did you chk the plugs if they are oil fouled ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I KNOW that you said you installed new ones , but you also said that some oil went into the cylinders when plugs were out..
Yes, when they were out the first time. Before I changed them. I took them out at first and cleaned them. I bought new plugs later. So far there is no oil on them, there does seems to be a little fuel and after cranking awhile it gets somewhat of a "carbon" build up??

not much that anyone can do to make car not starting when just replacing valve cover gasket and upper seals ,,,
Tell me about it.

Thank you guys sooooo much for your help so far. Hopefully we can get it figured out soon. Thanks again.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:11 AM

Are the spark plugs wet with gas? Please clarify carbon build up?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

If I recall only one of them was obviously wet with gas.

Carbon build up description straight from the first link of google.
Carbon tends to coat any surface that may be exposed to either the combustion process or handle engine exhaust. It is often most evident on fuel injectors, engine valves and combustion chambers. Deposits also form on the throttle body, spark plugs, intake manifold as well as in the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors

That's pretty much it. Carbon just builds up on the plugs after trying to start for awhile. If I pull the plug I can wipe it off with a rag and it'll look good as new. It seems to me that its probably from all the fuel. Like I said, it kind of seems like it's flooded.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

If you have a timing light, hook it up to one wire at a time. Have someone try to start the car, and see if enough spark is being generated to flash the timing light.

You may want to do a compression test on each cylinder just to make sure that you have compression.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I don't have a timing light. :\
However, I can plainly see the plug sparking... and it seems like good enough spark.

As for a compression test - with oil in the cylinders, it will likely show that it has good compression whether it does or not.

Quick Reply: Accord will not start.