General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Advise on EGR pipe

Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Default Advise on EGR pipe

Hi,

I own a 2002 accord LX-V6. The check engine light and the maintenance required lights came on, so I took it to the dealership.

They want to fix the EGR pipe (which I'm pretty sure I had done in 2009 but they have no record of it), replace the front and side engine mounts and replace the brakes.

I know the brakes need to be done. However, I believe they're just trying to get more money from me with the other two things.

I have two questions:
1. How can I tell if these things are really necessary?
2. What happens if I don't get the EGR done? Will it ruin the engine? Or is it just emission levels.

Extra information: the car runs fine. There is no knocking sounds, vibrations or anything else. When I brake the steering wheel sometimes kind of shakes which I believe are the brakes.
My husband just told me when he stops suddenly it sometimes seems like the whole engine thumps (once) as if it were falling down.

Thanks.

Last edited by nijntje; 03-08-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added signature
Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

The thump from the engine moving is likely the motor mount(s). You can grab the engine and try to rock it back and forth to see what mounts have torn/broken rubber.

A clogged EGR port can eventually cause the engine to run a bit rough in certain rpm range (1800-2200 on my 95). Try to find the paperwork for the repairs done on the car.

You would feel warped rotors every time you brake at higher speeds. Maybe the vibration you are feeling is from the motor mount problem? How much material is left on the brake pad? Do you hear a screeching noise when braking?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 PM

Thanks for your help PAhonda.

The brakes do screech and I know they're worn down, so I was already going to get that fixed.
My husband tried rocking the engine and says it doesn't move at all.

So would you say the EGR pipe is not crucial do get fixed right away?

The dealer is asking $1300 for all of it.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

I do my own work, so that is expensive to me.

A plugged EGR port may give a reduction in gas mileage and poorer emissions. I am not sure if you have an emissions test in your state. It isn't as critical as the brakes. I cleaned this port on my friend's V6, and it wasn't too bad of a DIY job.

If money is tight, the other option is to find an independent shop that specializes in Hondas or foreign cars for the brakes and mounts.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:25 AM

I'm with PAHonda. I do much of my own work and NEVER take my car to the dealership, so that number sounds very high. Either you or your husband need to become car-handy or find a good independent mechanic or at least a friend who is car-handy.

The problem with the check engine light/EGR problem is that your car won't pass inspection (at least it won't here in Texas, and probably won't elsewhere) so you'll have to get it repaired. One of the things the dealership may not be telling you is that the problem with the plugged EGR passage was the subject of a Honda Technical Service Bulletin (#99-085) and the repair was covered by a Honda extended warranty that covered the car for 8 years or 80,000 miles. The technical service bulletin also mentions that Honda may repair the problem under a goodwill program even after the 8 year/80,000 mile warranty expires. You may have to do some arm-twisting of the Honda service department or regional service manager to get it fixed for free if your car is outside the 8/80,000. Try negotiating it and be persistent. Maybe the dealership will fight that battle for you if you agree to have the other work done by them. That might cut the bill from the dealership in half.

The "maintenance required" light is set by mileage alone. I think it comes on every five or six thousand miles. It is only a reminder...not an indicator of a problem. Your owner's manual spells it out and tells you how to reset it.

I did my own EGR port in an hour and a half for $31.99 for a gasket kit.
I do my own brakes (rotors, if necessary, and pads) in two hours for $100 in parts (two rotors, one box of pads).
Engine mounts are $40 for the cheap one (passenger side). $130-140 each for the expensive front and rear mounts. I don't know what the transmission mount costs. Labor for two of those mounts would probably be two hours for a qualified mechanic with all of the tools.