General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Advise on upcoming repair job-What would you do in this situation

Old 12-03-2006, 11:45 PM
ourhonda
Unregistered
Default Advise on upcoming repair job-What would you do in this situation

I just had a couple of tires put on at Wal-Mart and a day later, I noticed that one of the lug nuts was not on all of the way. I tried to spin it on by hand and no go. I took it back to the store and discovered that the nut was cross threaded and the stud was junk. The manager said to take it to Pep Boys and have the problem fixed. At this point, they are going to pull the rotor off and install a new stud. They suggested and new bearing while the rotor is off. The car has 145K and I have no history of repairs. Should I look at installing the bearing or will the 145K OEM bearing be better than their replacement. The rotors appear to have quite a bit of meat left on them so I probably won't have them done. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Advise on upcoming repair job-What would you do in this situation

If wally world caused the problem, and they are paying for the repair, I'd hook over to the Honda dealer.
The peppy boys are morons, you can drop the rotor loose from the hub and replace the stud without screwing around with the wheel bearing.
I'm guessing we are talking about a mid 90 accord, because you want to keep your year and model a TOP SECRET.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:02 AM

Yeah let us know what year and all you have that way we can better tell you what to do. If you have a 90-93 accord then all you have to do is knock out the old stud put the new one in and use the lug nut with an impact gun until it seats, no rotor pulling required.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: hondadude

I'm guessing we are talking about a mid 90 accord, because you want to keep your year and model a TOP SECRET.
car is a 97 accord , he has another post open about vibration