General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
View Poll Results: Which model is best?
2010 Accord LX, 4 cylinder
0%
2007 Accord SE, V6
0%
2009 Accord EX-L, v6
0%
2011 Accord LX, 4 cylinder
0%
2009 Accord LX, 4 cylinder
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Newbie looking for info for upcoming Accord purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Default Newbie looking for info for upcoming Accord purchase

Greetings! I'm new to this forum and thought I would give it a try in efforts to get some ideas on which Accord I should purchase. I just sold my 2007 Honda CR-V and I'm having a hard time coping after the sell. It was a great car, I just wanted something with a little less miles. I've always owned Honda's and have never considered owning anything else.
I'm currently looking at 5 pre-owned Honda Accords and I've read all the reviews on them, I just am struggling with seeing any difference between them. All of the cons to these models seem the same and it's almost like Honda didn't make any changes to correct these issues, but that's me personally.
I'm looking at the following:
  • 2007 Accord SE, V6, 45,954 miles
  • 2009 Accord LX, 4 cylinder, 55,753 miles
  • 2009 Accord EX-L, V6, 60,852 miles
  • 2010 Accord LX, 4 cylinder, 59,393 miles
  • 2011 Accord LX, 4 cylinder, 55, 753 miles
Which would you recommend between these models? Any thoughts about these models in particular?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome. A lot of this really depends on the condition and maintenance done of each car. For example, some things would be:

• Was regular maintenance done?
  • Was the fluid levels regularly checked to make sure they are were not low.
  • What type of driver was the previous owner(s)? Are the miles mainly freeway or lots of short trips, etc.?
  • What is the condition of the car; exterior, interior, tire thread life, brake pads % left, etc.

With any used vehicle, you may want to have an mechanic inspect the car prior to committing to buy.

Do you want more power (e.g., V6) while sacrificing some gas mileage (4 cylinder)?

Maintenance will be slightly more for the V6 due to the need to change the timing belt, the 4 cylinder has a timing chain that under normal circumstances doesn't require changing.

It might take a short while for me to compile some of the differences based on the list you have. This would be exclusive of what the actual condition of the cars you're considering.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:43 AM

To be honest, I'm really missing my CR-V. I loved the gas mileage I got with that car and never really had any issues with it besides the tires wearing on them pretty quickly. From what I'm seeing, that's an ongoing issue with Honda having issues with suspension. Some of the reviews I've been reading about the Accords have been issues with the brake system wearing pretty quickly.
I never had an issue with my CR-V being a noisy drive but people reported that being an issue with the Accord having poor sound insulation.
Gas, space, and reliability are the biggest things for me when considering a car. According to the dealerships that have these cars, they all say the same thing which is that it's either granny previously owned or had regular maintenance checkups. I'm bringing a friend with me who knows a lot about cars with me this time around, but I just wanted to read up on them and get some info so I had bargaining options when I go again. If I know my car like I did my CR-V that helps with negotiations. I knew my CR-V inside and out and was able to talk them down $4000 off MSRP but I was buying brand new. This time I'm buying pre-owned.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

2007 Accord SE, V6, 45,954 miles
2009 Accord LX, 4 cylinder, 55,753 miles *
2009 Accord EX-L, V6, 60,852 miles *
2010 Accord LX, 4 cylinder, 59,393 miles **
2011 Accord LX, 4 cylinder, 55, 753 miles **

Depends on trim levels; but, some differences:
* 2009:
+ Glove box light
+ Leather armrests (doors sides and center console), even on regular EX Accords without leather
+ Center console tray and mat
+ Blue ambient light on overhead console
+ Engine cover even on 4 cylinders
- No Bluetooth, unless it is the EX-L with navigation
- The 2008, 2009, & early production 2010's original rear brake pads wore out fast. Honda released revised rear brake kits with different brake pad compound, V-springs, and instructions to check the caliper slide pins to see how they were installed and switch the top and bottom slide pins as necessary.

** 2010 and 2011:
+ Bluetooth standard, even EX-L without navigation
- No glove box light
- No leather armrests on regular Accords without leather
- No Center console tray and mat
- No Blue ambient light on overhead console
- No engine cover on 4 cylinders
- Early production 2010's original rear brake pads wore out fast. Late production 2010’s, 2011, and 2012 Accords from factory incorporate new calipers and brake pad design.

2008-2012 Accord V6 with Automatic Transmission – Powertrain warranty extension due to class action lawsuit settlement. Powertrain warranty extended to 8 year with unlimited mileage from the original date of purchase. The warranty extension does not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded or similar title under any state’s law.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Some 4 and 6 cylinders were known to burn oil; some faster than others. Not a concern if it is not too excessive and you regularly check oil level and top off.

The Maintenance Minder only estimate remaining oil life, it does not know the level of the oil; so, you still have to regularly check the oil level.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:11 AM

That was fast!!! Super impressed and beyond gracious in your response. What about the 2007? I think that was grouped in 2003-2007 models which I wasn't sure if that meant that the 2008 started the year of a new design set. I'm thinking I might have better luck with negotiating on the 2007 which is why I asked about that year as well.
again thank you so much for your response in this tread.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Not all features and differences listed

2007 Accord SE V6
7th Generation Accord – A different generation Accord than the other ones you’ve listed.
+ 244-hp, 3.0-liter VTEC V-6 engine
+ Cloth interior
+ Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with traction control (SE V6 has this, not available in all 7th generation Accords)
+ Brake Assist
+ 17-inch alloy wheels
+ LED taillights (8th generation Accords do not have LED taillights)
- No moonroof

Safety Recall: 2003–07 Accord V6 Power Steering Feed Hose Leak – VIN check is done to determine eligibility -Install an updated power steering feed hose kit.

Additional information for other models:
2008-2012 Accords (some other difference between sedan and coupe may not be listed)

2011-2012 Accord 4 cylinders estimated fuel economy is slightly better than 2008-2010 Accord 4 cylinders. Various changes were made to improve fuel economy. In addition, the 2011-2012 Accords 4 cylinder automatics added the ATF warmer and changed the way the ATF cooling lines run. The Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) warmer uses the heat of the engine coolant (which warms more quickly after a cold start-up) to help bring the ATF up to operating temperature faster. Recommended engine oil viscosity for 2011-2012 Accord was 0W-20; whereas, recommended engine oil viscosity for 2008-2010 Accord was 5W-20 (0W-20 acceptable to use in 2008-2010 Accords).

2008-2010 Accords 4 cylinder automatics had ATF cooling lines which ran directly from/to the radiator.

+ Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with traction control in all 8th generation models
+ Brake Assist
+ TPMS (Tire Pressure Management System) – Sensors are mounted in each wheel. Faulty TPMS sensor or battery will require tire to be removed from wheel and TPMS sensor replaced. New TPMS sensor ID number will need to be programmed into PCM (car’s computer).
4 cylinders Accord LX: 177-hp, 2.4-liter engine
4 cylinders Accord LX-S, EX, EX-L: 190-hp, 2.4-liter engine
Sedan LX: 16” Steel wheels with covers
Sedan LX-P, SE: 16” Alloy wheels
Sedan and Coupe LX-S, EX, EX-L , EX (V6) EX-L (V6): 17” Alloy wheels
Coupe EX-L (V6): 18” Alloy wheels

2009 Accord EX-L (V6): V6 Accord automatic: 271-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 engine. Have the most features of all the models you’ve listed. Some examples are the addition of moonroof, Homelink Remote System, Dual-Zone Automatic Climate Control System, premium audio system, auto-dimming rear view mirror, compass, leather… (Not all features listed)

Some other model trims can have Honda accessories added, such as auto-dimming rear view mirror, compass, hacked Homelink Remote System.

Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) on V6 with automatics. Depending on the driving conditions, the Accord V6 can go from 6 cylinders, to 4 or 3 cylinders for fuel economy.

For the 8th generation Accord V6 with automatics, there have been reports of one or more spark plug fouling. The piston rings on certain cylinders may rotate and align which can lead to spark plug fouling. This can set Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0301 through P0304 and cause the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) to come on. Previous fix attempt was to change affected spark plugs and update PCM software. Part of the class action lawsuit for the 8th generation Accord V6 was due to the misfire issue, the other issue was due to oil consumption.

Under the extended powertrain warranty; if applicable, they will inspect the vehicle and, if necessary, clean the pistons, and replace the piston rings in the affected cylinders.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-21-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added info.