General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

After market Alarm 97 DX need dash wire diagram & photos,what parts look like.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Default After market Alarm 97 DX need dash wire diagram & photos,what parts look like.

Dear Forum Members! I'm Maggie and I'm brand new so I hope you will be tolerant with me and tell me if I am being inappropriate. I read the FAQ! I tried to find the answer before I asked! I mght have missed an answer.

ISSUE:
I'd like to take out an aftermarket alarm and immobilizer from my Honda 97 DX (it's erratic) I need some reference materials to set it back to original factory specs and alarm connections.

Three requests for help pointing me to information please and what is the name of this diagram or information?

1. CAN YOU HELP HERE?
1. Does anyone have any photos or a diagram that shows what the parts are (shape helpful) and where the original wires were plugged in under the dash with wire colors? That would be so great!

2. CAN YOU HELP HERE?
2. I have some schematics (maybe not the right ones (generic) for my dash/relay/ignition). Is there a place I can buy if I have to do so. I have searched the web!

3. CAN YOU HELP HERE?
3. My used Honda has an aftermarket alarm that is going haywire. Regarding the alarm - I'd love a schematic for the alarm, but it has no brand or model number on the brain! It could be audiovox since that is the shock sensor.

I'd like to take the out the alarms and wire back to original factory spec. If you have some suggestions to fix the alarm - read below. But I think taking it out would be great or pemanently disabling it due to the current wiring from it appears at least two installers or repair folks prior to my purchase of the car.

Thank you very much! Maggie.

Optional Over Detailed Background....from a novice! NO NEED TO READ unless you're interested

Here's the Full History - Current Situation - and Fixes if you're interested in this. I also added additional information on a few pieces of hardware (whoops, that's my computer side talking) I mean parts! (Smiles)

--------------------------------------------------------------

If you're curious about the issue - which I hope you might be. The car ran fine with the alarm apparently off for more than a year. I didn't know there was an alarm. (The DX that year did not have any factory alarms. A higher end model did, I've read.)

WHEN IT FAILED!
I'm jumping a friend and we noticed my negative battery cable was very loose and some corrosion. I get home to clean terrminals etc. and yikes, putting the battery cables back sets off the alarm! (Okay, I didn't know this! I do now. I'm a novice here!)

The ISSUE NOW
Alarm has mind of its own and reverses at times. When you open door from inside - it goes off. At other times it works great, and then it randomly set the alarm.

Issue:
I want to take out immobilizer and shock sensor and rewire back to factory specs.

Action Taken Already
First - I got the alarm off with kill switch or did something to get it turned off. But then car was immobilized! After solving that later - for some reason the alarm sets itself automatically at times.

Diagnostic

a) I found that Alarm also had a disconnect (wires came off) on kill switch and another wire broken off at crimp.

b) I fixed that so you can use the kill switch but in certain situations, the kill switch does not work. I replaced crimp to the (I believe location it was - is it the aux inputs above the driver's side indoor fuse box - that's where that wire and another wire are crimped and connected.

c) Trial and Error to reset or stop problems. - - -examples - every combination - with kill switch, open/close doors, ignition key to get it to stop, ignition half one, did a little jig, prayed, thought unpleasant things or worse case, remove black from battery which seems to reset the brain where I can get the kill switch to turn it off. I figured out by trial and error the best sequence to disable the alarm. I think?

Here's my theory about why I think 2 installers/repair guys to alarm system at different times did with the alarm.

I traced wires and noted which were electrical tape connected, others with shrink wrap, others with those push in wire connectors, and others with electrical tape to connect wires. Blimey mess, figured out most, but ex: there ae connections in 3 different colors spliced in joining others to a crimp or who knows. It's causing severe Brain Drain!

Let me forensically auto wise guess what might have happened. If you have other theories - I'm all ears if you like being car detective.

1. Aftermarket installer (1) put in shock and brain. The brain has no model or brand number, just a serial number and fcc notice. I'm guessing that with FCC number - it has to be something transmitting or receiving? Maybe a remote alarm fob or remote ignition or ?)

2. It appears a second installer/repair (and maybe his buddies) (installer 2) then tried to fix it or something. He did not follow standard installation I'm learing the hard way and appears to have patched into the 1st installers work. There was no alarm fob or any alarm info whe car was bought used.

2) Besides sheared wires from what they cut off or left dangling that they did not use, there were other wires hanging around with bare copper showing. I managed to figure out what's what and disabled the alarm. Some cleanly sheared wires might have been from the alam company original harness, etc, but I do not know.

3) Some issues I found - The power crimp to the auxiliary input (I think - over fuse box-novice here) had broken off. The kill switch wiring had also pulled lose but I couldn't see this so spent hours trying to figure out the alarm, but I did! Okay - we're into cumulative days now, but I got it working and then it goes crazy weeks later.

4) I fixed the broken crimp and the disconnected wires with new crimp and another kill switch,

5) It has a mind of its own still! It likes to go off at the wrong time. I have set the shock sensor for less sensitivity. Sometimes it gets mixed up and when you shut the door it arms the alarm. So - After you drive somewhere and get out - the alarm goes off. Then it goes back to normal after resetting etc.

PARTS SOMEONE INSTALLED:

1. Shock Sensor is an AudioVox (standard $5.00 on ebay item) (Sensor set on least sensitive.) reseated all wires in brain etc. and pushed in all wires and tried to find any visible issues. (tested a few) (ebay has the 9491 shock sensor with 3 pin into brain and the other ends raw.)

2. Brain is generic brand with only the FCC ID number and serial number. (I even searched the FCC, maybe i missed how to get info.) There was No brand or model #. (Oh Joy!) I did not open black case to brain. Someone wired a random wire that is sticking out I think that I do not see on other brains of othe models out today. It was black and was not live under any condition - so I grounded it.

3. I blew the 50 volt ignition accidentally I believe while dangling upside down under dash. It's replaced - and all works fine with intermittent alarm gremlins setting off alarm.

4. There is a potter and Blumfield Relay. (might this be the bypass which notes when the alarm is on and off and talks to ignition?)

5. There are wires with fuse not attached to anything so assume maybe it was a remote alarm or maybe remote start at one time in its life.

6. There are other connectors of different colors (different pin sizes) And wires jumping here and there

What I'd like to do is find the diagrams to disable it. After spending so much time - I know I can do it if I can see factory photos or part by part outline diagram - schematic.

Why I want to get rid of this!

It could be a faulty shock sensor I could replace but that is trial and error

It could be a bad wire connection. I tested a few with multimeter but it is impossible to get to some of them without taking out more of the wiring.

It could be some of the wires bent too far and are partially discnnected.

I guess it could be a faulty ignition something or other.

I guess maybe when they wired into I think the fuse box or aux panel something is wrong.

I do not know nor how to properly diagnose.

I did check battery voltage and it's great.

Bad brain or connectors.

I'm new at all of this - brand new but I hope to be a fast learner.

I do not know the names of everything and what they do - but working on it. I'm learning more about cars than I ever wanted to know.

What I have done on cars. I once fixed a burst radiator on another car in the top plastic or radiator with epoxy and fiber glass strips and it's working two years later. I'm sure that's not advised, but it beat having to buy a new radiator. That's the extent of my car knowledge. I learn about it when it breaks down.

So if you have experienced this and have some advice great. I have video which I could take screen shots at various stages.

If you use complicated car jargon...p
lease go easy on that. I'm new to self-fix cars!

grateful

Thanks! New Novice.
Maggie

Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

WELCOME newbie!

Look in the DIY section for a thread about on-line manuals. Maybe you can download a repair manual. Look for your year or earlier. Beginning in 1998 it's a whole new generation (all different wiring).

Old 09-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Red face Thanks Jim -I'll see what I can find.

Thanks Jim! - newbie here. I'll look to see what's there in repair manuals online. I have Haynes but it is limited.

Appreciate it!
Maggie

97 Honda Accord DX - no extras except a surprise alarm that went off one day.
4 Door Sedan
I believe it's a 2.2 engine....

Newbie Comment: I find the following interesting now. Maybe it will save someone time with an older Honda and car alarms.

Originally when I started having problems, I looked up online alarms installed in 97 Honda Accords. The promotional materials and many websites said alarms were installed in 97 but said nothing more. That lead to a wild goose chase as I searched for any information on the mystery alarm for the DX.

No alarm came in my model (the DX_ for year 1997.)

A higher end model in 97 had an alarm.

In some other older cars there might have been a Dealer installed alarm. If you didn't want to pay extra for the alarm when you bought the car, I hear (correct me if I'm wrong as this is what I read) a number of dealers did not uninstall the alarm but disconnected it and left the alarm.

It was cheaper to leave the alarm disconnected than pay labor to remove it. Some dealers had to put the alarms in their cars on the lot to reduce their insurance costs.

Might be old news to you, but hopefully it might save someone else hours trying to find documents that do not exist.

As well - If they find unusual bits under the dash that do not match the wiring diagrams from Honda - it might be leftover alarm bits.