General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Seat Airbag Situation

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:59 AM
Default Aftermarket Seat Airbag Situation

Hi All.

I am currently in the process of installing aftermarket seats on my 8th Gen Accord Coupe. I know that there are side airbags in the stock seats so please don't bash me on my decision to remove them. For those of you who don't know the specific setup for this car, there are 3 wiring harnesses that connect to the passenger side seat. The first goes to the seatbelt buckle sensor (which will be going back in obviously). The second goes to the side airbag in the right bolster. The third goes to a module located in the left seat bolster. The module then has 3 more wires which go to the weight sensor that tells the car when someone is sitting in the passenger seat so that it knows to turn the passenger side airbags on. I know from previous research that there is a resistor I can get to make the car think that the side bolster airbag is hooked up.

So, the first question is: What specific type of resistor do I need, and where can I get it.

When I took the seat apart I was hoping that the weight sensor would be in the seat base and have a wire going directly out of the seat (as opposed to going through the module first). Unfortunately, not only does the wire go through the module, but the sensor is in the seat back and it is sewn in with no way to take it off.

So, next question is: If I hook up a resistor to the wire that goes to the module at the connection underneath the seat, can I get it to tell the car that there is always someone sitting in the passenger seat so that the airbags are constantly on?

Also, the only possible explanation I can think of for having 3 different wires going to the weight sensor from the module is that different sized people sitting in the seat tell the car to set off the airbag at a different rate? No idea if that's true but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I will do whatever I have to to get these seats installed because they're already here and they were expensive lol.

Thanks!!

Old 09-24-2015, 07:33 AM
Default Edit

I was wrong about a few things.

The sensors for weight in the passenger seat are in the rails below the seat (one on each side). The sensor that is in the back of the seat is for occupant position. There is also a sensor for position under the drivers seat.