General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Aftermarket Stereo install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Nekozuki
Unregistered
Default Aftermarket Stereo install help

Ok this is what i want to do, i wanna install my radio in my 2003 honda accord. i am going to get the lower kit because i do not want to replace my factory 6 disk i was wondering what i had to do to keep the factory radio in (AND in working order so it can play music as well but ill have it turned off because of the aftermarket radio) could i just splice the wires and add on the ones for the aftermarket radio?

Old 03-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket Stereo install help

you can do that but be carefull because if you turn them both on you're going to overload something... I'd suggest at the very least put a switch in that switches the power from one radio to the other so only one can have power at a time... Strange thing to do but if you're going wrig it up then do it right or pay the consequences by dash diving with a volt meter for hours on end when something fries....

Old 03-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Nekozuki
Unregistered

but on the 03 honda the hvac controls are built in the display on the factory head unit, so i am taking another hit at this i am thinking of running seperate power to the aftermarket unit and just splice the speaker part, do you think this would work or no?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:23 PM

Why would u want to use both radios anyway?? The aftermarket radios, depending on which one it is, sound way better.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Nekozuki
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: jnunez

Why would u want to use both radios anyway?? The aftermarket radios, depending on which one it is, sound way better.
it wouldnt be anything cheap and the only reason i want to install both is i still want my dual climate controls and i need the factory unit in there to control that because honda built it all in one unit. i just want it like that incase i sell the car in the future so i dont have to hook everything back up