General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

air cond filter change

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Default air cond filter change

Just wondering what the worst result will be if the air cond filter never gets changed. (2001 accord LX

Can it result in reduced airflow??

Thanks

Old 12-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: air cond filter change

The poster I stared at last time I was at a car shop said if you don't change it it can put stress on the fans... dunno if that's true, but it makes sense.

If you never change it or don't want to, you might as well just take it out so there isn't something int he way of the air flow.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:51 PM

Hadn't even thought about leaving it out all-together. Might be a good way to go. I have zero alergies, so I might consider that.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2008, 05:51 PM

It can .... if you don't want to replace it, it's best to remove it.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:54 PM

Im 20 seconds too fast for you Aaron!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

AC filter prevents dirt/debris from entering the evaporator from outside fresh air stream. If this material is not filtered, it may eventually cause serious problems; blocked evaporator drain or foul smelling AC system, or both.

I've repaired two cars that had blocked evaporator drains; 94 Accord EX and 94 Jeep Gr. Cherokee. This repair is actually not difficult on an Accord, but on most US vehicles the entire dashboard must be removed. I would not attempt another dashboard removal after tackling the Jeep Gr. Cherokee blocked evaporator, which was also leaking refrigerant. Hands down worst job ever, a nightmare.

Replacing AC filter every year or so sounds like a good investment for a clean, functional AC system.

good luck

Old 12-23-2008, 07:43 PM

And Texas, what about those of us who no longer have A/C?

Hehe, you don't have to answer that.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:08 AM
mugenpaolo
Unregistered

is cabin filter the same as AC filter?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by mugenpaolo
is cabin filter the same as AC filter?
Yes, it's the filter in between the A/C evaporator and heater core in the dash. I just removed mine last night, they're kind of a pain to get to.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 AM

I replaced the filters on my '02 SE with 79000 miles on it yesterday. Bought the car in '05 with 38k on it, so I figured it was due, plus the wife said she noticed the defroster wasn't working as well as it used to. I was shocked at what was found. The filters were pretty much black and really clogged with crap. I had to take my shop vac and suck out a big ball of pine needles/leaf bits/other junk that was still in front of the condenser after I pulled the filters out! The heater/air cond works 100 x better now and much, much quieter. Yes, it is kind of a pain to get to, but if you are willing to do the work to remove the filter, why would you not just replace it? It seems like it will eventually get clogged, filter or no filter. Best $13 I ever spent, IMO.

Quick Reply: air cond filter change