General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Default Air Conditioner Compressor

Hello, I could be having to remove my compressor. Now before i even try that, I went to my mech and he said my compressor was leaking (cause he had put tint in the system and it was all over the compressor, so it leaked it) But the one thing he did do before I left was remove the two lines from the compressor, and in one of them the o-ring was not chewed up, but it wasn't intact, it was ripped on a side but it held its shape. so he removed it and put a new one in, then we charged the system with freon and my air now works (for now) he said if the cold air stops the compressor itself could be faulty.

The question is: could a faulty o-ring have been the cause of my AC failing? or is that too much a miniscule part to make my ac not blow cold air? thanks

Old 08-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, that can let enough leakage so your AC lost it's refrigerant. You say the dye was all over the compressor? How does that relate to the location of that O-ring? Plausible that it all comes from that place?

I'll move this to General Tech.

Last edited by JimBlake; 08-05-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The usual location for compressor leaks are the hose connections and the rotating shaft seal. If you don't have a large ring of dirt/oil surrounding the clutch rotation plane, the shaft seal is probably good and oring leak was the problem. If your AC keeps working, this would confirm a good tight system.

good luck

Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 PM

The dye was actually very close to the lines, but had also spilled over to other areas, I guess you could say most of the spillage was close to the line that had the faulty o-ring, a friend of mine tell me that o-ring was probably the cause since the system works with a pressure of about 350lbs and any hole will let the freon out? In the meantime my ac is blowing cold air a week after that oring was replaced, but today i almost felt like the air wasn't as cold as its been.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

That might be your imagination.

You can pick up a thermometer that you stick in your dash vent that will measure the air temp at the vents for <$20.

The outside air temperature will change the a/c temperature at the vents.

So to be consistent, keep note of both the vent temperature and the outside temperature. Over a week or two, you should have enough information to be confident that the a/c system is consistent or getting worse.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:13 PM

good idea. thanks