General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Intake Hose for 1998 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Default Air Intake Hose for 1998 Honda Accord

1998 Honda Accord LX (4-door, Automatic trans, 4-cyl)

When I changed the valve cover gasket, I accidentally cracked the air intake hose when I was trying to remove the small tube that goes from the valve cover to the air intake hose.

I have looked ALL over the internet for the part #, but the closest I can get is 17288-PPA-A00. But this is not it because is has a "P-trap". My car does not have the P-trap and even if I do get this type, the trap will not fit because of other hoses are in the way.

The intake hose looks like this (no P-trap). 1998 Honda Accord EX Sedan 2.3 Liter SOHC 16-Valve VTEC 4 Cylinder Engine Photo #45352831 | GTCarLot.com
if you look at the picture, the part that cracked is the connection on the intake hose just before the throttle body. You can see the small tube going from the valve cover to the intake hose.

I thought about buying 17288-PPA-A00 and remove the P-trap, but then I would need to find a way to seal the hole.

Does anyone know where I can get a new intake hose (without the P-trap)?

MANY THANKS !!!

Robert

Old 11-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Not sure I fully understand. Your vehicle calls for the P-trap (I checked Majestic Honda), but your car air intake does not have a P-trap or even a branch for attachment?

If car was originally designed w/ P-trap, you should be able to fit one in place. If you want to blank the opening, you could probably find a PVC drain pipe cap that will fit just inside the branch and use a worm gear clamp to secure in place. Another option would be a plastic bottle cap of correct size, but this might not stand up to heat/fumes under the hood.

You could check ebay and car-part.com for a used part. Another option is one of the "cold air intake" duct replacements.

good luck

Old 11-03-2014, 12:41 PM

What is in the car now does not have a "P-trap". It is possible that it originally had one, but then it was replaced with this type.

What is the purpose of the P-trap?

Old 11-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Sound suppression. It prevents the "moaning" that occors w/ a straight inlet pipe.

Funny, I looked back at Majestic Honda parts site and the P-trap tube part 12 is not listed in parts listing, but is shown in diagram. Have you tried a Honda parts outlet to see what they say?

good luck

Old 11-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Honda uses the same drawing across 1998-2002 and some of the later cars DID have the J-trap. Like you noticed, the parts LIST doesn't have any entry for part #12.

Honda does that all over the place on the drawings in their EPC.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:01 PM

OK, I finally got the part at a Honda place.. almost the same price as online (had to say it was for "Bob's Garage" to get the discount).

Turns out that the on-line parts use the same diagram for everything whether it has a P-trap or not. As for what I got, the part # was right, but it seemed to be universal fit. The part I got has the option to put in a P-trap, but you have to cut out the hole if you want use the trap.

Will put it in when I get home tonight. Would have been nice to put the new one in last Friday (Halloween) and see if the moaning was scary!

Thanks for all the inputs and learned something!