General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Light On - 2005 Accord 4 Cyl. LX

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Default Airbag Light On - 2005 Accord 4 Cyl. LX

I have searched the forums for an answer to this question and I could not find it. I replaced my O2 Sensor on the Cat. I thought that it all went well however I did not realize that the gray plug connected to the seat was to the airbag system. I plugged the O2 sensor into it and the engine light never turned off. At the exact same time the airbag light turned on as well.

I took it to Darrell Waltrip Honda in Franklin, TN to determine what the problem was. Come to find out the above and that I cut the wires to the airbag plug to make it look like a clean install. We rerouted the O2 sensor to the proper plug and the engine light is off now (problem one solved). I took the other gray plug for the airbags and spliced the wires back together and plugged it back into its socket. I took it back to Waltrip Honda and they reset the airbag. However the light came back on and they informed me that they do not know what is the problem but it may be a short somewhere in the wiring of my airbag system and they would have to check it out some time next week.

I have two questions:
1. Would any of you know what could be the problem with the Airbag light from what I have described?

2. I would like to reset the Airbag light myself, however I have no idea where the MES Connector is located on my car. There is a yellow plug directly above the interior fuse box by my left foot if I was sitting in it, but it doesn't seem to want to come out. I searched the forums and found a guy with a v6 that is having the same problems locating it and nobody responded since January. Would you know where the plug is located?

My car has 188,xxx miles on it and I'm not to worried about the light myself but I do have a wife and a 2 year old to worry about. The service department informed me that my airbags would not function with the light on. That worries me if I have my family in the car with me.

I apologize for being long winded but I am greatly appreciative of your assistance on this matter.

Last edited by keldridge; 06-11-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Administrator
Cool Hi Member

1st off...Welcome to the forums..
2nd off...You posted this in the new member area..Read rules please
3rd off..I moved to here where it's at currently..Now maybe it will
get answered by some one...

Attached Thumbnails Airbag Light On - 2005 Accord 4 Cyl. LX-later.gif  
Old 06-12-2010, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

I downloaded an 03-08 TSX shop manual, and the MES looks like it is plugged into the fuse box. It is number 13 in the attached pic. It should be plugged into a dummy connector (no pins leading to it).

This may or may not be the same setup as your accord.

Attached Thumbnails Airbag Light On - 2005 Accord 4 Cyl. LX-untitled.jpg  
Old 06-12-2010, 07:20 AM

Thank you, and Thank you.

PAHonda, the location that is on the TSX manual is where I found the plug that didn't want to come out of where it was plugged into. I didn't want to break it so I let it be. Is there a particular way of pulling it out so not to break it?

Oh and WheelBrokerAng, sorry for the misplaced post, some forums that I am a member of require the first post to be placed in the "NEW" area just to get familiar with the process. Thank you for the move.