General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alarm randomly goes off in my 02

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Default Alarm randomly goes off in my 02

Happened last night at least 4 times. All doors, windows, trunk and hood were securely locked. I ultimately decided to disconnect the battery for the night. Re-connected it this morning and used my 2nd key FOB to lock the car afterwards. Since doing this it hasn't gone off once today. I don't know if switching key FOBs did the trick or what. My old Elantra had this same problem and it was the hood switch starting to act up. I would just open the hood and slam it shut real good and it would stop the issue for a while. Maybe opening/closing the hood when I disconnected and reconnected the battery jarred the sensor back into place...? How can I verify if the hood sensor is actually bad?

Old 01-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

I think the hood switch is a closed circuit when the hood is shut.

You could unplug the hood switch and jump the connector on the alarm side, so the alarm sees a closed circuit. See if the problem returns after a few weeks.

If not, then reconnect the hood switch. If the problem returns, then you pretty much verified the problem.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

The way the security hood switch works is when the hood is open, a ground signal is allowed through the switch to the security/multiplex control unit. Normally, when the hood is closed, there should be no ground signal coming from the hood switch. If the hood was closed and the security system sensed a ground signal from the hood switch, it sounds the alarm because it thinks the hood is open.

You can just disconnect the 2P connector to the hood switch if that was the cause of the false alarms. You don't want to jump the connector, as that will supply the ground to the security system, and the security system will always think the hood is opened.

To test the hood switch, when the hood is opened (lever released), there should be continuity between the two terminals of the security hood switch. With the lever pushed down (to simulate a closed hood), there should be no continuity.

There was a service bulletin for 98-01 Accord regarding the remote's transmitter case flexing and causing the panic alarm to sound; however, this may or may not be applicable to your 02.

Honda TSB 01-003