General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by i3igmind
P.S: can i clean all that sluggish,brown, look like burnt oil inside the value area using carb cleaner or if you guys have suggestions on what can be used to clean it.
Please post a picture. A thin layer of golden goo on the inside of the cover is more or less normal and won't hurt anything. The Accord engine is not a 'sludger' and is generally rather easy on the oil.

What oil do you use, and how often do you change it?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Am I there yet

Not sure if i am there yet?!

Attached Thumbnails Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC-camshaft-tdc-form.jpg   Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC-belthouse-tdcform.jpg   Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC-top-cam-view_form.jpg  
Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

I can't see the marks on the camshaft sprocket in your picture.

Here is a writeup I found a while ago when preparing for my timing belt.

There will be 2 little notches 180 degrees apart on the back of the cam sprocket (cam side), (highlighted white) these notches are to be level and even, on either side with the top of the black inner plastic timing cover (highlighted red)

Old 01-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I can't see the marks on the camshaft sprocket in your picture.

Here is a writeup I found a while ago when preparing for my timing belt.

There will be 2 little notches 180 degrees apart on the back of the cam sprocket (cam side), (highlighted white) these notches are to be level and even, on either side with the top of the black inner plastic timing cover (highlighted red)
thank you i will give that a try.
however i think i am foing something wrong, i can't for the love of god seem to take the lower cover out!( i removed all bolt out thu, you got give me something for that )

Here is what i did so far (day one and day two)
removed driver side wheel
car is on jack stands both sides
removed valv cover
P/s pumt and belt
top timing belt cover
distrobuter cap
loosen pasenger side bolts
took off two driver side bolts
lowered the engine

still need to remove:
Remove the crank shaft pully
remover alternator
and start the actual gob

keep in mind i only work few hrs on this project(total hrs 8 hrs so far)

Thank you every one that is trying to help me

Attached Thumbnails Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC-img200.jpg   Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC-img201.jpg   Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC-img202.jpg   Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC-img203.jpg  

Last edited by i3igmind; 01-25-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added PICs for Cam back view , Thank you PAhonda for the tip
Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Angry no luck

Well guys, am stuck with no luck
can get the crankshaft pulley bolt out ( tried impact wrench, breaker bar, pb bast , wd40 ) but that f**ker wont move, oh btw i also tried eric's hoes trick.

am just out of ideas , and don't know what to do.

impact wrench broke my 19mm so i had to by another one.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Got bolt out, but got another issue now

Ok so i got it out, just using the breaker bar... but now i am facing another issue.
camshaft (front and back ), distributor in #1 are all TDC , except when i took the lower T-belt cover , noting is aligned ?!!!!
check it out please:
1992 Honda Accord TDC but not TDC - YouTube

Please help

Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

come on guys were are the response.

that is funny , am left alone in the dark. i feel like that joke on how to fly a plane, and when it came to landing the plane the last page in the book was to be continued next edition of this book

Old 01-27-2012, 01:14 PM

(Dude, your video makes me want to puke.)

Well, that looks fun!

Is there a pulley cotter pin in place?
At what position is the crank's pin slot?

What I'd do....
Replace the alternator belt pulley if needed (so the balancer belt doesn't jump off).
Drop a wood dowel or similar down the cylinder #1 spark plug hole.
Slowly turn the engine by hand. Make sure the dowel remains free to move. Watch the dowel rise and fall and verify that you are indeed reaching TDC.

It's possible that the flywheel's TDC marking is wrong. The FW is attached with 8 bolts. (Anyone, is is hard keyed? ) Maybe someone put in on wrong?

Old 01-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default What wrong with this picture?

Thank you all for you help and support. like i said i have the camshaft sprocket is on TDC, the crankshaft sprocket is aligned with the timing mark on the engine block , the Oil pump drive sprocket is of timing (exactly like the one on Eric's video) so i can adjust that like how Eric did! the ONLY one that is not on TDC is the balance shaft and the engine block! that is driving me crazy .

Attached Thumbnails Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC-front_balance_shaft.jpg   Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC-rear_balance-sprocket.jpg   Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC-shaft.jpg   Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC-crankshaft-sprocket_1.jpg  

Last edited by i3igmind; 01-28-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Is the rear bal shaft lined up, lock pin in?

Best I can tell, the cam and crank are lined up, sounds like the balance shaft is not....Sorry, coming in late and I'm a bit confused and trying to get up to speed on where you are at.

Quick Reply: Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC