General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aligning 1992 Timing Belt to TDC

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A balance shaft w/ 1 hole penetrating the shaft can not align to allow bolt penetration at 4 different alignment positions.

The hole aligns correctly everytime the balance shaft aligns w/ the pointer at the 5 o'clock position (every 360 degree rotation of balance shaft). It will only misalign if the 180 degree position hole is aligned as bolt first entry (pointer at 11 o'clock).

The balance shaft locking pin hole is positioned below dead center of the balance shaft for correct alignment, and if rotated to incorrect position the hole is above shaft center and pin will not fully penetrate. This is clearly explained in 1990 Honda shop manuals (similar diagram in 1994 shop manual) w/ a very good diagram of the shaft and hole off-center alignment.

good luck

Old 02-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Zax

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
A balance shaft w/ 1 hole penetrating the shaft can not align to allow bolt penetration at 4 different alignment positions.

The hole aligns correctly everytime the balance shaft aligns w/ the pointer at the 5 o'clock position (every 360 degree rotation of balance shaft). It will only misalign if the 180 degree position hole is aligned as bolt first entry (pointer at 11 o'clock).

The balance shaft locking pin hole is positioned below dead center of the balance shaft for correct alignment, and if rotated to incorrect position the hole is above shaft center and pin will not fully penetrate. This is clearly explained in 1990 Honda shop manuals (similar diagram in 1994 shop manual) w/ a very good diagram of the shaft and hole off-center alignment.

good luck
Apparently you arent understanding the ratio between the 2 gears.
The balance shaft ITSELF will rotate 4 times for every 3 revolutions of the outside gear (the one with the dot on it,in the 5 o'clock position)
This is verified by the math as well.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 PM

Ah, I see said the blind man.

I used a long 1/4" bolt to hold shaft positioned and removed the balance shaft belt drive sprocket /cover to replace the oring beneath the cover. Re-installed sprocket w/ 5o'clock alignment, so I guess there was no opportunity for misaligning.

thanks

Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Default Am I off by a few degrees?

So I changed the water pump and timing belt on my 92 accord, after I got it all back together it runs fine, but I have lost almost all my lower rpm power. Do I need to move the belt a few teeth?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Nvm after reading more into my issue I went out and advanced the timing by adjusting the distributor cap and 'POW" got all my low end power back! I just want to thank all of the people who keep this site running. I always come here to find out what I need to do and it has not failed me yet!!

Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Default 1992 Honda Accord LX

I did something pretty stupid, I have had so much going on i removed the oil balancer shaft pump . its a part of the pump anyways on the bottom right side next to the crankshaft i removed it thinking it was the water pump... now i have no ideal how to get it back in as it should go since the teeth moved on the engine part of the pump... also when i put it togethre i used a bolt to hold it in place to test it and then forgot to take the bolt out when trying to see if it would start, well it didnt start and ended up stripping the small belt so had to buy another one of those.... My question is did i do any damage when i left the bolt in when trying to start the car to test the timing? next question if not how do you put that part of the pump back on so that it will be in correctly in alignment? thanks....

Old 11-04-2012, 05:45 PM

There is a picture in this thread that shows alignment of the rear balance shaft sprocket w/ the oil pump case. The alignment mark points to about the 5 o'clock position at a tab on the casing. Again look through the pics in this thread.

good luck

Old 06-15-2013, 01:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So if the motor is in time but the balancer shafts are not what happens? I have this same deal right now do i just take the balancer belt off line them back up? I was driving with them like this but didnt notice anything.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:15 AM

Yes, presumably engine vibration would be worse w/ misaligned balance shafts.

How much worse? Maybe very little if alignment is close. Balance shafts must make a big difference overall or they would never had added that much complexity to the engine.

good luck

Old 06-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I would say the front is about 90 degrees after getting a good look at it. the rear is looking at 7 o'clock right now but after reading this thread until I take the belt off its anyone's guess. Thanks again texashonda this stopped me in my tracks last night now I can get back to work.