General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Accord V6 Timing Belt TDC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2001 Accord V6 Timing Belt TDC Problems

2001 Accord, 4dr, V6,

So, i finally got around to changing my timing belt. I got the timing belt out. I put the new one on. Looked to be lined up right. Put the engine mount back on. Put the covers back on. Put the crank shaft pulley back on. Turned the Crack shaft Pulley 5 times. Checked the TDC thought he little ports in the covers. Front cam shaft OK. Rear cam shaft off by what appeared to be about 1 tooth or a quarter of an inch. I debated whether it was in the reasonable margin of "close enough" for those sorts of things but decided since it looked to be about a tooth off that it would have to move.

I took it all back off. Took the timing belt back off. and looked at the read cam shaft pulley. It was now 90 degrees off counter clockwise(IE the notch was pointing towards the read of the car). Front was fine. I readjusted the rear camshaft my rotating it 90 degrees clockwise so that TDC lined up to the top. Put the covers on to check through their little port holes. Both cam shafts looked good. Put the crank shaft pulley on and turned it 5 times. Front cam shaft was fine looking through its port hole. Rear cam shaft had no notch in sight. So I took all the covers off and the rear cam shaft appeared to have ended up 180 degrees off target. How? It seems as soon as I turn the crank shaft to set the belt like the manual says, black magic goes off inside the covers and the rear shaft ends up wrong.

Is there some sort of trick I'm missing? I'm hoping the third time is the charm, but I'd liekt o make sure it's right than trial and error it into place.

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Excellent! A Voice in the back of my head suggested that that might be it, but I didn't want to assume that and be wrong.

Thanks!