General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alternator belt loose, can't adjust alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks I eventually found that nut down there on Saturday. I had to get a flash light and get under there to see it. Got it loose and I was able to adjust the alternator and belt easily.

Ok, so now the timing belt and water pump is done. Fired up fine and runs great, only thing is not one of my belts is squealing is its pretty annoying. It ususally only happens when I start the car and eventually goes away.

Do I need to get some kind of grease or lube on the belts? Are they too tight, or loose? I didnt make either belt that tight, you can push down in them about 1/2 inch or maybe a little more.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Spray some water (windex bottle) on ONE of the belts to see if the sound changes. That's how to decide which belt. I'm guessing the alternator/AC belt but that's just a guess. Tighten it a little at a time, whichever is making the noise.

You had to cut the belt so these are new belts, right? Old belts will get hard & slippery with age so don't overtighten an old belt.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Spray some water (windex bottle) on ONE of the belts to see if the sound changes. That's how to decide which belt. I'm guessing the alternator/AC belt but that's just a guess. Tighten it a little at a time, whichever is making the noise.

You had to cut the belt so these are new belts, right? Old belts will get hard & slippery with age so don't overtighten an old belt.
Ok, I'll try the water trick tonight and tighten.

Yes, but both P/S & Alt/AC belts are new. The squealing got worse today. It squealed for like 20-30 secs this morning, and its very loud I hate to even start it up and I bet my neighbors are hating me right now. lol I need to take care of it ASAP.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok so I tried that trick but I used a little WD40 would should work just as good if not better than water (I didnt have an extra spray bottle to spray any water). Sprayed a little on both belts but it did not quiet the squeal at all so I really dont know if its the P/S belt or Alt belt. I tightened and loosened the P/S belt but it still squeals and its LOUD!! I guess I'll have to try the same thing with the Alt belt to see if its that belt.

This is starting to really get to me now. All that hard work, everything running fine and now I cant get rid of the annoying squealing!!

Any other suggestions?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

I suggested water because it won't do any permanent damage to the belts. Neither one made any difference, suggesting the noise might be inside. Bearings on one of the tensioner pulleys inside the timing cover?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Administrator

If you can get ahold of a Mechanics stethoscope, you can hear while it running as to where the squealing is coming from. Watch that you don't slip it in a spot that it can get caught. I have been useing one for years on all make s of motors to pinpoint those kinds of problems.
Where can you get one? I bought mine at AutoZone 16 years ago..they sell them there.
Good Hunting member!

WheelBrokerAng

Old 04-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Default try this

I think your belts are too loose. But, too be sure its belt related, loosen em completely. you dont even need to remove em. just very very loose. start car and listen. if noise is gone try spinning alt., A/C pwr st. /. They still could be source of noise but need to be loaded to make the noise. tighten the belts so you can grab one and barely twist it 45 degrees. new belts need to be pretty darn tight as they stretch. If noise is still there. and you dont have a mechanics stethescope use a 5mm 16 inch or so long vacum hose and with one end in an ear move the other around listening for your unwanted noise. Also the balance shaft belt is not supposed to be tight. It will whine if too tight. an inch of deflection is normal.

Last edited by Old Honda Dude; 04-04-2011 at 11:21 AM.