General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator belt rubbing lower timing belt cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Alternator belt rubbing lower timing belt cover

I just completed the replacement of a new timing belt and water pump on my 1990 Honda Accord. I reassembled and tested timing, start, etc. When starting the engine, I noticed the same load squeal that was there prior to my changing out the component. I had completely forgot about that squealing noise that occurs when you first start the engine, but stops in about a sec or two.
I removed the axillary belts one at a time, and discovered that the alternator belt was the culprit. Closer examination showed that the belt appears to be rubbing against the lower timing belt cover.

Does anyone having any suggestions for stopping that noise outside of taking things apart again and possibly replacing the lower cover? The cover actually looks fine, and so does the blet for that matter, so not sure why this is happening.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

I'm guessing that the plastic lower timing cover is warped, so it bulges outward & that's why the belt rubs?

It's a bit of a pain, but it seems like the fix is to replace that lower cover. Or maybe remove it, use a heat-gun, & warp it back into it's proper shape?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Wait, before you do that...

Carefully look at the alignment of the belt, crank-pulley, & alternator pulley. Is it possible the alternator mounting brackets are messed up so the alternator isn't really properly aligned? The belt might be running crooked if the alternator pulley isn't perfectly lined up with the crank pulley?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I will look and let you know.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Also. did you install the little rubber retainer in the t-belt adjuster nut>>?? there is a little groove in the nut and the retainer goes in there , it is to keep the lower t-belt cover from bulging out and possible belts rubbing on it

Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

#26 & #27 is what Desert is talking about.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Jim, alternator does appear to be in line with pulley.
DesertHonda, Yes i purchased a new bolt and seal and did install it on the bolt.

However, further testing now makes me unsure if the rubbing against the lower cover is the issue. To test, I actually pushed the cover inwards with a large screwdriver and had someone start the engine. Unless the friction is occurring on the backside of the pulley, it does not appear that this is the true problem as I originally thought. NOTE: You can see where the belt has been rubbing against the cover however.

Any thing else I can try to test? Could is simply be the belt? I have tried spraying water on the belt to no avail. One additional comment. when I put the power steering/AC belt back on the squeal will eventually be continuous and NOT stop after a short while. Maybe that is a clue to one of you.

Thanks again for you help

Mike

Old 09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I once had a 90EX and when doing TB's found the harmonic balancer(crankshaft pulley) had worn a hole in the TB cover. There was some in/out play in the crankshaft which was larger than spec. I chose to repair the cover (epoxy and ripstop nylon) and reinstall. Never had any problems, but I never checked again to see if the hole in TB cover reappeared.

goo

Old 08-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Default deserthonda was right on target

deserthonda was right on target- I reexamined why my crank pulley was rubbing on the lower tb cover. I removed crank pulley and upper and lower tb cover bolts then looked it over. Sure enough I had that round black rubber seal hanging on the INSIDE of the lower tb cover. I took a long screwdriver and pushed it off and then reseated it OUTSIDE the tb cover. All better.
That lower tb cover is a pain on my 1997 Accord LX. 5-spd 4 door. I did the timing/balance belts myself years ago and then just two months ago. Frustration set in when lower tb cover would not clear the frame. I snipped back that timing mark "finger" and it went on ok. Some say to undo that side of the frame. Maybe "next time" I'll do just that.
That's why I missed that black rubber seal being out of position, when I was getting fed up with that lower tb cover..