General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leaks from timing belt lower cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:10 AM
Default Coolant Leaks from timing belt lower cover

Dear Experts! Please help me.

I have noticed that my car's coolant (Accord 2000 LX 4spd Automatic, 114500 miles) was leaking little bit after coolant was changed. It was about a 1/4 inch on the ground over-night. The leaking was notall the time. Sometimes, I couldn't see any leak spot on the ground, so I think it is very slow. At first time, I thought this leak was caused by coolant change but when I jacked up the car and investigated the bottom, the leaking seems to be there for a while (Since I got this car from my brother last month, I just realized this problem and my brother looks like ignored this problem)

Anyway, After wiped out several times bottom area where I saw the leak, I could identify the coolant is leaking from timing belt lower cover's bottom. Can anyone tell me where the leak possibly come from? My brother changed the timing belt about several months ago but he couldn't remember whether water pump and seals were changed at that time. Please any help. Thanks a lot...

Old 10-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Coolant Leaks from timing belt lower cover

sounds like the water pump is leaking

Old 10-14-2007, 08:27 PM

Is this as soon as possible repair item or I can wait few month more to get repaired? I am always checking coolant fluid level and the leak is very minor. Sometimes, I cannot see the leak even for few days.

When I replaced the coolant fluid, I forgot to do air bleed by opening air bleeder screw. Is it possible this problem caused by this?

Old 10-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: bbdhong

When I replaced the coolant fluid, I forgot to do air bleed by opening air bleeder screw. Is it possible this problem caused by this?
No.. just by not bleeding system properly it will not make the water pump leak..
You can wait if you like, but wether it is one week or one year i cannot say,, just keep close tab on the temp gauge and coolant level, it will eventually start to leak more and more as time goes by ,