General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alternator and A/C Compressor Swap. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Alternator and A/C Compressor Swap. Any tips?

Finally diving into working on the Honda (details in sig). I got it on the road, just to find out the alternator is dead . Bought a replacement one a few days ago, and now I'm wondering how the heck I loosen up the belt. I noticed what looked like an adjuster, but when I backed up the 10mm bolt (loosed both of them), the belt didn't seem to get any looser. Any suggestions on replacing the alt? Also, I'm waiting for an A/C compressor to come in too; I noticed it's right below the alternator. I'm thinking of just waiting and knocking both out at once, since it seems once the alt is off, it'll be easier to get to the A/C compressor. Am I wrong, or is it not even that hard to do the compressor? I'm not used to transversed motors, so everything's sideways in my head, and I"m used to alot more room :P. Anyways, any tips/suggestions to make these swaps go over nice and smooth? TIA

Old 05-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

You might have to loosen the alternator pivot bolt just enough to allow it to pivot.
I looked at parts drawings but can't figure out which drawing has the alternator belts & bracket.

Last edited by JimBlake; 05-19-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

http://www.ehow.com/how_6367732_chan...da-accord.html

this is for the alternator

( COMPRESSOR R&R )

1991 Honda Accord L4-2156cc 2.2L SOHC
Air Conditioning Compressor HVAC

Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
Use a Refrigerant Recovery/Recycling System to recover the refrigerant from the system.

Remove:
power steering mounting bolt and nut
adjusting bolt
adjusting bolt bracket
power steering belt
power steering pump

Remove the two cruise control actuator mounting bolts, disconnect the connector, the vaccum hose and remove the cruise control actuator.

Remove the alternator harness clamp and disconnect the alternator harness.

Remove:
alternator mounting bolt and nut
adjusting bolt
adjusting bolt bracket
compressor belt
alternator

Disconnect the connectors from the condenser fan, and remove the connector from the compressor. Remove the three mounting bolts and remove the condenser fan shroud. CAUTION: Do not damage the radiator fins when removing the fan shroud.

Disconnect the suction and discharge hoses from the compressor. CAUTION: Cap the open fittings immediately to keep moisture and dirt out of the system.

Remove the four compressor mounting bolts and compressor. CAUTION: Do not damage the radiator fins when removing the fan shroud.

Install in the reverse order of removal, ...
NOTE;;;
This might be a good time to convert the current system (R12) to R134A ..if still has R12 freon system..

If a new compressor is installed, calculate the amount of refrigerant oil in the A/C system by draining the oil through the suction fitting on the old compressor:
100 cc (3 1/3 fl oz) minus contents of old compressor, equals the amount of refrigerant oil to be drained from new compressor.

Replace 0-rings with new ones at the pipe joints, and apply a thin coat of refrigerant oil before installing them.
Do not damage the radiator fins when installing the compressor.

Be careful to connect the alternator harness properly

Adjust the belt.
Charge the system.
Test the performance.

Last edited by deserthonda; 05-19-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright, got both done...now I'm told my harmonic balancer is bad... You can move the pulley slightly, and it's rubbing against the timing belt cover. Any suggestions on replacing it? I thought this car was a steal, but now it's starting to seem like a money pit...

Old 06-08-2010, 04:39 PM

remove the belts, remove the 19mm bolt, replace the crank pulley ,,very, very easy,,,,,,hardest is going to be to remove the 19mm crank pulley bolt . those son of a gun can be real tight

Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright, that was real easy :P. One thing though, my a/c still doesn't seem very cold. It's definitely cool, but I still break a sweat with it on high... I'm sure the fact it's pushin 100* here doesnt help, but does anyone else think it should be abit colder than that?

Old 06-14-2010, 01:47 PM

If the Ac has the correct pressures than verify that the water valve is closing all the way and if your Honda uses a blend door system like the 95 Accord make sure that closes. I am not familiar what they used in 1991 but my 95 Accord had terrible AC for years until I adjusting the blend door which corrected the problem.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=RadRacer513;206268, but does anyone else think it should be abit colder than that?[/QUOTE]

colder than what ?? what is it cooling down to ?? what did you do to the a/c system?? did you retrofit it?? how much freon did you put in it?? what are the pressures??

Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by deserthonda
colder than what ?? what is it cooling down to ?? what did you do to the a/c system?? did you retrofit it?? how much freon did you put in it?? what are the pressures??
Didn't put a thermometer on it or anything, just saying it's cool, not cold. I did convert to R134a, put 4oz of medium viscosity oil in it, and then filled it up with freon till the pressure was around 45 (IIRC, it was on the edge of the yellow on my gauge). I think it's my fan not kicking on, cuz once the car heats up or once I get moving, it gets nice and cold. It doesn't look like the factory fan IMO, so I'm wondering if the PO swapped it. What's the best way to go about wiring it up so it comes on with the a/c if I need to? I'm thinking of just running a relay from the a/c switch to the fan...

Old 06-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

First thing you need;

Then a schematic;