General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator replaced..but with side effects

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:08 AM
Default Alternator replaced..but with side effects

Hello again..I have had to replace my alternator due to bad rear bearing. Now I am having some troubles with dash lights blinking on. This includes battery, brake, and all of the door open lights and rear brake light. This is happening at around 40mph only that I can tell.
I did a multimeter test and here are the results:
ps: just drove back from work around 45 miles when I started test.

Car off battery test showed 12.88 volts
Car at idle battery test showed 14.63 volts
Car at idle with everything running..AC fan on high, lights on bright, radio, windshield wipers, battery reading is 12.50 volts
Still loaded but raised RPMs to around 1500, test showed 14.46.

I have a video of me driving and making these lights blink on if anyone needs to see.

If alternator is bad I need to get it sent back asap, so any fast advise will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

2000 Honda Accord EX V6

Old 05-15-2014, 01:52 PM

Post video.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:26 PM

I had to upload video to YouTube because of size. As soon as it becomes available I will post a link. Was hoping meter readings would be enough for some ideas. But if seeing it in action helps, then see you will.
I did notice today that the blinking appears anywhere between 20 to 40mph. Anything over that, nothing!

Old 05-15-2014, 10:26 PM
Old 05-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

It could be an issue with the alternator; but, check the belt and tensioner.
  • Where does the auto-tension indicator point with the belt installed and car off? Does the pointer move around with the car turned on?
  • Look for problems with the other pulleys.
See link:

Belt tensioner

Old 05-16-2014, 01:12 AM

Well, this all started with a grinding noise. I thought for sure it was idler pulley because with belt on I could wiggle it. That is 1st thing I changed, will have to look at pointer in the morning, but believe me it has some torque. After it was replaced grinding noise was still there. Ran engine, probed around with screwdriver to ear and found noise was loudest at alternator. Removed belt, spun by hand and sure enough that was the problem. Rear bearing was shot, but apparently still putting out the volts. I will admit that I took a chance on alternator off ebay, saved me well over $100. But have talked to them and if I can make sure it's defective, they will refund me. The light problem only started after new altenator was installed.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:19 AM

Attached is photo of tensioner marks.

Attached Thumbnails Alternator replaced..but with side effects-20140516_011630.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 08:29 AM

Well I think I may know what my problem is related to. I forgot that while the car was out of commission waiting on alternator to arrive, I hooked up my backup camera that came with head unit that had been installed in the car for a few weeks. I'm not entirely sure what could be wrong, because camera works just fine. But on my way home this morning, I kept trying to get lights to flash at 40 mph which they did. Then I decided to turn parking lights on and lights went out and could not make them come back on. Parking lights off, back to blinking. So apparently I have a wiring problem. Why it only shows up at certain speeds is still a mystery. Sorry for the wild goose chase guys!!! But still could use some ideas to help sort this out.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:50 PM

Well after working on my boat all weekend, I finally found time to unhook the backup camera and test drive the car. The lights are still coming on at certain speeds.
The alternator I removed from the car was a delphi 31100-p8c-a02, not sure of its amp output. But the one I exchanged it with says 105 amps.
Hoping someone will help me out. If more information is needed please ask. Time is running out on a free replacement.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:56 PM

Still seeking help...I hate to send this back just to buy another that does the same thing.

Quick Reply: Alternator replaced..but with side effects