General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Altetnator or otherwise...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Altetnator or otherwise...?

Hello haf people..

So today I replaced my 60 amp fuse for my sound system, idiotically, without disconnecting either it from the battery, or the neg battery cable. When I popped the fuse in, there was a lovely spark.. but everything seemed fine. After about 5 mins of driving I realized my rpm and speedo needles going to 0. Then shooting back up. Then returning back to zero.. and over and over.. I made it to my destination but that was only about 5 or so from home.. so when I go to leave, car wouldn't turn over.. AAA came and gave me a jump because I thought maybe plugging in my system might have charged the capacitor up, and didn't have enough time to recharge battery.. Idk what my logic was lol just wasn't hoping for the worst. AAA got it jumped. Once on, no gauges, no odo.. then as he aaa guy pulled away, my cat slowly died..at this time I was gassing it but every time I hit the pedal it seemed as if it was dying quicker probably fuel pump electrical usage.aaa also said his device informed him my battery is not being carted whatsoever.. some are telling me replace VR some are saying whole alternator and the vr isn't even accessible and the whole alt needs replacement. Need car for work so if I dnt figure this out I'm screwed.. already have a used alternator lined up to buy so let me know what u guys think..

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'd REALLY like to help but one of the first things we'd need to know- What year is this? EDIT: This is why I list my car in my signature.......of course I have to note which one I'm working on when I post.

Without that, only a few things I can suggest.
1) If you can get the car running, put a volt meter to the battery and note the reading.
2) Put the volt meter to the "main post" of the alt and body ground and note the reading. On a 3rd gen this is a bit hard but as I said I have no idea of what year we have here.

Last edited by poorman212; 08-01-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

My apologies, figured I'd have posted that lol. It's a 98

Old 08-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Check your other fuses. There is a fuse for the alternator that you might have blown.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Check your other fuses. There is a fuse for the alternator that you might have blown.
All fuses were good. Turned out to be the voltage regulator. Had to replace alternator (regulator built in)...